The Right ATA Controller?

Alex_is_Axel

.:: FTPAlex ::.
Goodevening everyone,

I have now come to a time where i do not have enough IDE slots on my motherboard anymore to have anymore hard drives :(

So.. its time for a hardware boost :D

Ok, I want an ATA Controller which can let me have more hard drives. The hard drive i would like to add to this new ATA controller is a Western Digital 120GB 5400RPM which is Ultra ATA/100.

*If you are wondering, yes this does mean this would be my third 120GB hard drive on my computer*

I have found a shop near me website in the UK called Maplin and it has 2 ATA Controllers but at different prices. I was wondering which would be the best option for me in getting a new ATA Controller, either one i dont mind buying. I have the money for buying either.. i just want to make sure i will be gettin a suitable one

The first one i found is here:
ATA/100 £14.99
Its priced at £14.99 and is capable of supporting the hard drive i want to add.. right?

The second one i found is here:
ATA/133 £39.99

So which one is the best to get?

I have also come across with this one:
Ultra ATA 133 PCI RAID £19.99
Is this one better than the other to?

Thank you for all your time and help, i am most greatful :)

Sincerly Alex
:cool:

PROMISE ULTRA 133 TX2 PCI CONTROLLER FOR 33/66MHZ PCI BUS FOR 4 HDD RET

this card does a lot of work for me. and does it very well.

only seen one of them for the ATA100 and thats £50 :eek:

What about the ones i posted? Aren't any of them any good? :(

not compared to the promise TX2 card no, is your happy with ATA100 then get the TX2 for £50, if you pick a cheeper card, they use more system resource to run. i can transfer files and use almost no CPU usage on the controller card. i run software raid with XP, still susprised at the sisoft benchmark wetting all over a ultra scsi 15,000 rpm :)

ATA/133 Host Adaptor @ £39.99 has on board bus mastering, i wouldnt trust the £20 and £15 models as far as i could push them into a motherboard. i know its £50 for a TX2 but think of a 120gb on each channel swopping gigs of movies without your PC breaking a sweat.

Do the hard drives used on the ATA.. get shown up like normal on the My Computer screen? Does the extra IDE slots show up on the motherboard BIOS? How do i set up new hard drives on them? Do i just plug it in and then Windows will install the drivers it needs?

Maxtor UDMA133 Controller PCI Retail

£30.00 (inc VAT)

at www.dabs.com - Quicklinx: 28J4WS

:) I have it and it works fine! And cheap too!

So the ATA/133 Host Adaptor is the best out of the 3 i spoke about? I dont mind payin £40 :)

which is better.. the ATA/133 Host Adaptor i spoke about or the Maxtor UDMA 133 Controller PCI?

ATA133 TX2. Promise is renound as 1 of the best ATA card makers. Maxtor are good at makin hard drives.

and its a 2nd BIOS after the System BIOS, loads up any attached drives and they show in windows like any other drive, the cards installed as a SCSI adapter as far as windows is concernd

Thank you for your help everyone,

Ill have alook tomorrow to see what i can get and ill let you know how i got on

Thank you once again

Alex
:cool:

I use Ultra ATA 133 SIIG from PC World £29.99, but possibly cheaper elsewhere.
Runs a NEC DVD RW.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back