The Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT

Ok, for one thing, yes this is VERY old. The more popular thing now is modding the Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB to be XT speeds. As was mentioned in the article, the memory doesn't do all that much of a difference with the card. So you can spend less money and get the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB which recently has been showing up with the R360 core inside. Same as the XTs.

The only thing you HAVE to do to achieve XT speeds with the 128MB pro is pick up a new VGA cooler because your temps jump greatly. Aside from that, some AS5 would be nice too.

There's some food for thought for you.

Sheps have you seen anything on how to identify 9800 PRO's with the R360 core? I just bought the 9800 pro 128 and I don't want to pull my hsf off to look at the gpu.

My memory overclocks to XT speeds no problems (courtesy of Rage 3D) and I had the GPU at XT speeds but I started getting artifacts after an hour of UT2004 so I dropped the GPU clock back down to PRO levels for now.

Better cooling will probably fix the GPU so if I have an R360 I'd like to flash it to access the thermal diode and really see what is going on at XT speeds.

Sorry it took so long to respond. I would suggest you use the program AtiTool to find out what core you have in the video cards.

Bummer. I did some extensive searches after I posted. All of the sofwtare tools, ATI included, just read the bios to id the chip. If you have the PRO bios it says 350 if you flash an XT bios it says 360. Turns out yOu have to pull the heatsink which is too much risk for 10-15% more FPS.

Thanks for replying.

Another way to find out is how long have you had the Radeon 9800? Because if it's over 6 months, then you don't have the R360 core. Heck if it's more then 3 months you probably wouldn't. Just because the change came recently.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back