The OSNN Definitive Sasser Virus Thread

j79zlr said:
Just a sidenote really, I would think that after the Blaster worm and the hoopla it caused people would be more aware that they need to keep windows updated. Again the patch was release on April 13th, over 2 weeks before any widespread problems.
Hopefully w/ this new annoying v5 of winupdate that pops up every 5mins ppl will actually updates :p

-edit- Also perhaps sp2 including firewall ON by defualt isn't a bad idea for some ppl. :) I can't believe more ppl don't have some form of one, be it hardware (ie router) or software in this age of virus/worms.

hsn said:
Very helpful indeed, thanks Henyman ;). Although it would've been better had this thread was posted earlier. :(

I would also recommend this to remove the Sasser worms, as it helped me. ;)

added ;) :D

The thread is sticky, no need to bump.

I think we need to add that thread bumping shall result in castration to the forum rules.

/me sharpens knife

Here Henyman.....here boy.[[[[[[notforlong]]]]]]]]here boy. :p

better get out the magnifying glass :p

Sasser was a worm in a teacup

DESPITE THE HYPE , the Sasser worm only affected one per cent of PCs, according to a new study by a security firm.

TruSecure says - according to its survey - only 8.1 million computers contracted the worm and most of them were in the US and Canada.
Of these, only one per cent reported infections and only a third of them suffered a cash loss because of the worm.
Among those infected nearly three-quarters had an increase in help desk activity as the major impact of the worm.
So far the estimated world wide cost of the worm has been put at 9 million. On the other hand the Blaster worm did damage estimated at $US1.3 billion worth of damage in America alone.
Of course the survey found that 26 per cent of the desktops infected would have been protected if a personal firewall had been operational and TruSecure does happen to have one handy, you'll not be surprised to learn.
If only the British coastguard and other organisations including large corporations had heard of TruSecure, the world might have been a more pacific place.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back