The Official WinHEC 2005 Thread

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
As many of you already know, WinHEC 2005 kicks off next week in Seattle. This year's conference focuses on Windows Codename Longhorn, as well as Windows XP x64 and Windows Server 2003 x64.

Microsoft has sent out invitations to Featured Communities like OSNN, and since E-Punk is unable to attend, I will be representing our community at the event this year. In addition to receiving the registration pass for the 3-day conference, we have also been invited to the x64 Launch Event, which includes a dinner on Sunday night with members of the x64 Windows dev team at the Sheraton, a launch party on Monday night, and some other events.

And as if that wasn't enough fun, we have also received an invitation for lunch on Monday with the Vice President of Windows product development, the Director of Longhorn development, and the Group PM of the Windows x64 team.

Since I am fortunate enough to be able to meet some very bright people while I'm there, I'd be happy to ask them any questions that you might have about Longhorn or Windows XP/Server x64. As you think of questions, feel free to post them in this thread, and I'll be sure to get the answers from the people concerned if I get a chance.

I will be covering the conference on the OSNN WinHEC 2005 blog, possibly at regular intervals during the day (I'll have my laptop and camera with me), with a more comprehensive story that wraps up the day's events every evening/night; so stay tuned. :)

Re: WinHEC 2005 (Apr 25-27, 2005)

Well have fun first and foremost.

The first question I thought of was is besides the fact they didn't have time why they removed the new file system from LongHorn

Yeah, I'll try to get some WinFS questions answered (I have a few of my own), including what the new roadmap is. As far as I know, it's still alive...just delayed and scheduled for release sometime in 2007.

Thanks! Keep them coming. We still have a couple of days. :)

I will try and think up some :)
Have some questions for NVIDIA as Ryan from extended64 has some time with them :)

1. FOr Security purposes is there going to be a difference between how XP handles user accounts and how Longhorn handles user accounts.

2. Any idea of how much Longhorn will cost. compared to XP, (any idea on OEM cost, Retail cost, or upgrade cost)?

3. This question seems obvious but since a lot of features of LH will be able to be used on XP, what are the reasons why xp users should upgrade to LH?

Also, if they have not removed the new file system from Longhorn (I have read that it's still-in-development) then are there problems with it? Will there be a choice as to which way people can format when they install Longhorn is will it be the defacto filesystem? And if there is a choice, will it be NTFS and WinFS file system only, or will FAT32 still exist as an option? Or is this the end of FAT32?

Is it still going to incorporate a version of Internet Explorer that runs with user rights that are more restricted than current versions of IE?

Also with the new data-organization that has been commented on. It has been said/commented that even if the WinFS file system doesn't ship with Longhorn that Longhorn will come with advances in data search and management that are "integrated into everything". That search results can be stacked, rearranged, filtered, and used to create new lists. They say that these lists can also include RSS feeds. Is this still true?

And last, how much of Microsoft's hardware-level Next-Generation Secure Computing Base technology will be included in Longhorn?

My two cents worth. :)

Will "Longhorn" implement a restructured firewall based on the XPSP2 version?

How configurable will Longhorn's built-in parental controls be? Supposedly they are for having control over PC games and Internet usage. And will parents have to go and change User profiles (their kids profiles) to reflect this? Or will it be an automatic thing when a parent sets the restrictions?

[edit]
One big thing... If everyone is at the persent beginning to migrate to Win XP64 then what will be the situation when Longhorn rolls out? I have read that Longhorn may be set up to let users choose between a 32-bit or 64-bit option when they boot up their computers for the first time. Is this still a probability?

They have also stated in different interviews and articles that it's on schedule to ship in the second half of 2006. Is this still an optimistic timeframe or is it fact?

Last edited:

Awesome! I'm going to be busy noting down all these questions tonight. :D

gonaads said:
Also with the new data-organization that has been commented on. It has been said/commented that even if the WinFS file system doesn't ship with Longhorn that Longhorn will come with advances in data search and management that are "integrated into everything".
I can confirm that instant metadata-based search is already in the system. WinFS isn't necessary. :)
Remember this screenshot?

lh_fast_search_demo_01.jpg

It looks very, very similar to that. ;)

Have fun... and say it like you mean it. push some of the really important stuff. Well maybe they are all important, but you know what I mean. If they get vague with any of the questions try to squeeeeeeze them a bit. *makes ya look menacing* :p

Now we know that NVIDIA is the first with WHQL drivers for Windows XP, x64 Edition. And REALTEK has their WHQL logo now also. I think that Creative does also.

How many other manufacturers have submitted their drivers to Microsoft? And how soon should we begin to see these drivers rollin out sozz to help people migrate to x64. Cause me being one that wants to move to x64, but if I'm gonna have a bunch of non-compliant drivers and things goin to poop, I want some sort of reasurance that there are new drivers coming out or in the works as we speak. And how soon.

And some sort of list of what works and doesn't work with x64. Kinda like the list they had for SP2 (I think it was for SP2).

Cool. I have the dinner with the x64 folks tonight, so I'll check with them on that. Any other x64-related questions?

erm erm...
could ask em if they have been working with any game devs to get 64bit updates out for games (farcry, steam... doom?)
get more details on how it will be released... trade ups (enter licence key, get x64 download?), retail packages?
64bit update for office 2003 ?:p

Stuck atm :)

Well, if say someone upgrades to x64 but then sees too many issues that warrant said person to roll back to XPSP2 or SP1. How easily can it be accomplished? And would there be any errors created in the OS due to a rollback? Would people's machines become unstable to the point of having to reinstall? Which would make many not so knowledgeable consumers edgey to the point of not wanting to even consider an upgrade to x64.

NetRyder... anything to do will the upgrade, rollback (if warranted) and general migration to x64. Program problems and workarounds. List of programs still not functioning or limited by their use on an x64 upgraded machine. Things like that.

If we could get some serious info on that. And some type of help for people thinking about x64 and we posted it here on OSNN. Man, we would be center of the universe. :D

What would the #1 reason be for people to move to Longhorn?

Yes, lame, but I'll try to think of more soon and post.

Grandmaster said:
What would the #1 reason be for people to move to Longhorn?

Yes, lame, but I'll try to think of more soon and post.

Actually no... It is a great question. Because it's not just the marketing that Microsoft would have to be convincing with, but also the functionality of it's features, It's security and the overall package look 'n feel and the ease of use. Ease of use is key. Installing hardware, programs and such.

gonaads said:
Actually no... It is a great question. Because it's not just the marketing that Microsoft would have to be convincing with, but also the functionality of it's features, It's security and the overall package look 'n feel and the ease of use. Ease of use is key. Installing hardware, programs and such.

Heh, thanks then :D

More questions:

What has been the hardest new feature to develop?

There has been news that you will be ditching passwords in Longhorn in favor of a new two-tier approach. Could you please provide details about this?

What do you think will be the most popular new feature?

Will it bake cookies?

Longhorn... not Suzy Homemaker. :p

First set of pics are up - the x64 VIP dinner. Check the blog. You guys are going to hate me...seriously. :p
More coming up tomorrow. Going to crash now. It's 1:10AM...have to be back at the Convention Center tomorrow by 7:30AM.

Oh Sweet Lord

If you don't mind i'm just going to go to a corner and cry

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back