The Official WinHEC 2005 Thread

Re: WinHEC 2005 (Apr 25-27, 2005)

gonaads said:
O.K. how is the "Instant On" going to work in Longhorn?
And the "Smart Caching" and "Disk Optimization" will function how...?
Basically, you'll be able to boot up instantly if you want to just play a movie or your music and don't need the whole OS to bootup. Besides that, regular boot-up, and resume from standby/hibernate will also be faster.

MS is working with hardware partners to bring in hybrid hard-drives with non-volatile flash memory. That's going to be really cool! :)

Oooh and how will this "Windows Diagnostics" feature function in Longhorn... what and how? How indepth will it be?
They didn't really talk about that aspect of it today. I know someone inside. Will try to find out something.

Last edited:

You're havin too much frickin fun ain't ya? :p

Awesome stuff here, NetRyder. I'd give you rep points, but a) you literally have thousands, and b) you're getting free stuff and an awesome experience! :laugh:

muzikool said:
Awesome stuff here, NetRyder. I'd give you rep points, but a) you literally have thousands, and b) you're getting free stuff and an awesome experience! :laugh:
I'd be happy to take them for NetRyder :p

Heh, thanks for the reps, muzikool. ;)
Blog updated again. Less pictures, more info this time. Not really anything that I can take pictures of during the breakout sessions.

Had the blogger lunch today. That was awesome. Had a chance to get lots of info about LH. Will post all of that and pictures sometime later.

Heh, after ya play with yer toys. :p

Hey what happened to them police girls? Did they frisk ya? :rolleyes:

Duuuuuuude. I want to go next year now :D Excellent job with the reporting so far.

Jewelzz said:
I'd be happy to take them for NetRyder :p

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Jewelzz again.

Sorry! :cry:

I went to and IBM iSeries conference this week... not near as cool though. :lick:

Another update. Lots of Longhorn questions answered this morning at the bloggers lunch. Good info if you're interested. :)

gonaads said:
Hey what happened to them police girls? Did they frisk ya? :rolleyes:
No, but I did get a picture taken dressed as a Formula 1 driver, behind a Ferrari next to a very cute girl from AMD. I'll post that when I get access to a scanner. ;)

Cool... More reading sozz I can't go to sleep. And hurry up and find a damn scanner. :p

Just added some pictures too. :)
Off to bed now. Another early day tomorrow.

Nice stuff NetRyder. I would rep you but... i don't like you very much ;) :D

Yeah, he has more than me ffs. :p

Hey NetRyder, could you find out more info and/or clarify the "black box" feature?

I must spread rep around before I can shower you with what I have

sorry...gr8 stuff

Electronic Punk said:
Yeah, he has more than me ffs. :p

Don't wanna let him break that 3K mark now do we. :p

Anyway, I can't give... gotta spread it. :D

gonaads said:
Anyway, I can't give... gotta spread it. :D

*cough* ahem *cough*

Sorry, I need some cough medicine. :p

Is my memory wrong or didn't MS have a frozen roadmap earlier this year... an RTM date that wasn't to be changed? Holiday season 2006 is pushed back further from what I remember, and I didn't think they were going to push it back anymore.

You need cough points? :p

Damn... I think I cured his cough. :D

Posted an update on Avalon and Aero. That was a fun session. :)

muzikool said:
Is my memory wrong or didn't MS have a frozen roadmap earlier this year... an RTM date that wasn't to be changed? Holiday season 2006 is pushed back further from what I remember, and I didn't think they were going to push it back anymore.
It will be code-complete by mid-2006, but will be publicly available during the holiday season. This is based on an answer we got from Joe Peterson at the bloggers lunch yesterday.

So I'm finally back in LA. Woke up at 4AM this morning...ick! But yeah...I had a great time up in Seattle during the last few days. I'm sure most of you could figure that out from my posts on the blog. :D Can undoubtedly say it was well worth the trip.

I've updated the blog with some more info and links that are worth looking at. Sorry about not being able to get any info about IE7, guys. The session was a big disappointment, especially since it was one that I was actually looking forward to yesterday. Oh well...

Anyways, hope you all enjoyed reading the blog during the last few days and had a chance to learn some new stuff. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back