The Official Internet Explorer 7 Discussion Thread

Added a file to the first post that will move the menu bar (File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Help) back to the top of the browser.
is there a restart to get this reg hack to work?

it didn't work on my box, am restarting now

[edit]

worked, but it added an aditional bar instead of allowing the menue's occupy a common area

it needs work

Last edited:
Found the file on Majorgeeks so I figured it had been tested.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/IE7_Menu_Move_d5306.html

I read you can also do this in XP Pro without a reg tweak through group policy but I do not know if it works.

gpedit.msc

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Internet Explorer

Enable - Moving the menu bar above the navigation bar

Actually saw the phishing filter in action today, rather effective if I do say so myself :)

IE6 as long as XP was at the SP2 level had a pop-up blocker, which is still part of IE7. The security seems MUCH improved in IE7, although there will always be over-critical people.

I personally have never used Firefox as I haven't had a need/reason to. Unfortunately I can't make an informed comparison, but I can say that IE7 is leaps and bounds better than IE6 in both categories.

hmm im trying it out, i noticed that when i try to go to http://www.worldofwarcraft.com i get an XLS? error and the page does not display properly.

edit: hmm went to it again, and its working fine...weird

im liking the tabbed browser options, the quick tab view is pretty nice

how does IE7 compare to firefox with the whole pop-ups/security deal?
I use both regualy and they both work fine. in terms of pop ups IE 7 blocked more than FF 1.x in my experience. Have to see how it fairs from v2.x

The only thing that FF has over IE now is extensions (the add ons to IE aren't as good imo).

...Hmm i was going to add something else.. but i just forgot it.. damn memory!

I just read about the Internet Explorer 7 Popup Address Bar Spoof and discovered the test will fail if you set the pop up blocker to high.

I use both regualy and they both work fine. in terms of pop ups IE 7 blocked more than FF 1.x in my experience. Have to see how it fairs from v2.x

The only thing that FF has over IE now is extensions (the add ons to IE aren't as good imo).

...Hmm i was going to add something else.. but i just forgot it.. damn memory!
I love the inline spelling in the lastest version of the fox

I have used FF quite a bit but I always ended back with IE because of pure speed.

Will give FF2 a go once it is final I spose, just to be fair ;)

IE7 so far has been great for me, cept it is not recognized by all sites.

-edit-

Btw derek, looks like I'm gonna have to charge royalty for my sig :smoker:

j/k

Good info is always free ;)

IE7 seems alright so far but theres a few things bugging me:

cant remove:

commands as they re-appear everytime I open up IE;

the navigation buttons;

the search bar;

the refresh button;

the stop button;

and the two stars.

Basically, I just would like to see the address bar on its own and the status bar. Nothing else.

Attachments

• aaaaa.JPG
    aaaaa.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 194
I have used FF quite a bit but I always ended back with IE because of pure speed.

-edit-

j/k

went final the other day. try it!! :D

-edit-

j/k

Glad you are letting me spread the word, it's for a good cause :D

IE7 does feel faster. However, Firefox 2 is much more functional/useful for me. So I've gone back.

Back to ie7.

I don't get how people can possibly say that FF is better than IE and then claim it's about speed.

Sorry but bull. IE is faster and more functional (love the favorites center) than FF. FF is more feature-rich because of superior add-ons/plug-ins.

I like FF, don't get me wrong, but when I am browsing, speed is very important.

People appear to be having different experiences with both of them (as people always do) so to defiantly say once is faster that the other is a bit erroneous.
In my experience, and i use both all day everyday at work, one doesn't demonstrate a to be vastly faster than the other. In terms of out of the box functionality i really like the RSS platform in IE7 and the built in spell check of FF2 (iespell doesn't even work on this site). Other than that i don't see much difference, certainly nothing major that gravitates me towards one or the other (FF extensions not withstanding).
in conclusion, relax mofos! take it easy

But, FF is so friggin bloated :(

If only it didn't take half an hour to do things, I would use it all day long.

I keep getting "out of memory on line 26...I have no idea what this means since I have tons of memory

anyone else getting this?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back