The Official Internet Explorer 7 Discussion Thread

Sounds like poor scripting on the webpage. Does it crash the browser?

Sounds like poor scripting on the webpage. Does it crash the browser?
ya, it crashes the browser, it happens indescriminantly so I don't know which pages do it, it doesn't happen with any other browser, neither firefox nor ie6

If its crashing I'd worry about code execution.

I'd just not use IE7, but thats another thread. I can't think of IE6 ever crashing on me [but I haven't used it regularly for years now] but in testing IE7 from beta thru release, I've had it crash a ton of times.

IE7 hasn't really crashed in my recollection when I have used it.

Question: Where does IE7 store its proxy settings, home page, anti-phishing settings, and the customization form information when you first install?

I want to set all these things for our agents on their machines so they do NOT have to make these settings every time they log in. Right now our agents have very limited controls and have a mandatory profile so I am thinking I can drop the files in their mandatory profile.

I think he might be referring to the IEAK (Internet Explorer Administration Kit)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/bb219517.aspx

should be able to handle most of the changes you want. Policies and an autoconfig script can also probably do the job if you are in an AD environment..

An updated installer has been made available for IE 7.

Internet Explorer 7 Update
Almost a year ago, we released Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP. Since then, IE7 is well on its way to becoming the most used browser in the world, and we’ve seen lots of evidence that IE7 makes it safer and easier to accomplish everyday tasks online. For example, the built-in Phishing Filter has protected consumers from known phishing web sites an average of 900,000 times per week. IE7 is the first – and still the only – browser with native support for Extended Validation SSL Certificates that help prevent online fraud. (Of course, tabbed browsing, QuickTabs, shrink-to-fit printing, an easily customizable search box, CSS improvements, and some add-ons are all good things too.)

Because Microsoft takes its commitment to help protect the entire Windows ecosystem seriously, we’re updating the IE7 installation experience to make it available as broadly as possible to all Windows users. With today’s “Installation and Availability Update,” Internet Explorer 7 installation will no longer require Windows Genuine Advantage validation and will be available to all Windows XP users. If you are not already running IE7, you can get it now from the Internet Explorer home page on Microsoft.com, get a customized version from a third-party site, or, if you haven’t already received it via Automatic Updates, this version will be delivered to you as we described previously. If you are already running IE7, you will not be offered IE7 again by Automatic Updates.

Additionally, we’ve made minor changes to IE7 for Windows XP based on customer feedback:

• The menu bar is now visible by default.
  • The Internet Explorer 7 online tour has updated how-to’s. Also, the “first-run” experience includes a new overview.
  • We’ve included a new MSI installer that simplifies deployment for IT administrators in enterprises. Learn more about it here.

Thanks,

Steve Reynolds
Program Manager

Download links in the first post are still valid.

IE7 is horrible, especially when you open too many threads, which cause the Explorer broken quickly and frequently.

nietsche: I've had no such problems with IE7 - firefox has more problems with having too many tabs open sucking up memory.

IE7 is horrible, especially when you open too many threads, which cause the Explorer broken quickly and frequently.
No problems here either - can you provide some detail around your statement?

Same here and I routinely have 10-15 tabs open across upto 3 browser instances.

Firefox, I am loathe to open more than 6 or 7 because it just starts chewing up my memory. This is precisely why I use IE instead of FF at work.

i use FF as my primary browser everywhere and deal with some of the memory issues. IE has some issues with memory usage on certain sites as well, just not as bad as firefox 2. The only time I load up IE is for some specific sites that some bad designer didn't design right to work in firefox.

BTW - the firefox 3 beta's have been worlds better with the memory usage.. if my add-ins worked with the v3 beta, I would be using it almost exclusively.

but you use FF @ home ?

Yes, I do. I prefer the extensions when I am at home but memory is far more important for me at work. I cannot use FF on my production system without either rebooting my system occasionally or continuously restarting FF.

Considering that I have to run some live applications that are hosted on specific websites, closing the browser means all the applications are shut down and I have to log into each one again when it boots up.

Therefore, FF SUCKS for production usage for me. IE runs all day/week/month long without issues.

At home, I have found the majority of my application errors to occur when running FF. Kudo's to everyone who enjoys FF but seriously, the design is simply archaic. I much prefer Opera.

i use FF as my primary browser everywhere and deal with some of the memory issues. IE has some issues with memory usage on certain sites as well, just not as bad as firefox 2. The only time I load up IE is for some specific sites that some bad designer didn't design right to work in firefox.

BTW - the firefox 3 beta's have been worlds better with the memory usage.. if my add-ins worked with the v3 beta, I would be using it almost exclusively.

Gran Paradisio seems snappier but some of my extensions don't work with it. However, IE still has a better memory footprint.

IE7 doesnt render the links pages on my own site properly and the code is sound, so im guessing all broswers have issues its just after the many years and many issues with IE i am reluctent to use it

so what your saying is - is that if you hardly use any addons in FF (only use the spell checking for obvious reasons) then you might as well use IE ? oh and i check my bank account online from time to time - only check the balance :) or grab FF3 and see what i think ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back