The numbers are growing

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
Just read about this over at the surfin' safari weblog.

MSIE slips further to Firefox, but looks like Safari is getting its teeth into some of the MSIE flesh as well.

source

Eh, I may be jaded, but I am kinda loosing my faith in Firefox. It used to be a great piece of software for web browsing that used low resources. It has become very bloated. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that isn't such a memory hog?

Eh, I may be jaded, but I am kinda loosing my faith in Firefox. It used to be a great piece of software for web browsing that used low resources. It has become very bloated. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that isn't such a memory hog?
How?
I love this new Firefox Spellcheck thing.
Its great, it even has the words if you mouse over.
I mean come on that in itself is great!

using 174,000k right now.

That's how much memory firefox is using right now on my computer.

it goes back to what I said about it being to bloated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opera is using 49,552k on mine - have you tried it instead of Firefox? :)

When I tried it, I couldn't really get a feel for it.

When I tried it, I couldn't really get a feel for it.
Same.
Opera has too many pieces.
Like when u use the mail thing.
There is no way to get back to inbox.
it opens a bunch of windows.

i wouldnt use the mail, i just use gmail.

I kno,
it was gmail
Opera has a mail feature that checks ur mail and brings it up in Opera.
All i had was problems with it.

blech, I wouldnt use that.

Yeah, Firefox and Gmail notifier are perfect for me.
Ill be keeping the updated FF for a long while.

It was long time ago that I tried Opera, so maybe I should try it again.

I thought it would have been better.
I even went so far as to say it was the one i would use.
I simply dont know why but it truly isnt for me.
too "Complex" if you will.

I have no idea, but it was at least several years ago that I tried it. Long enough ago that they could have totally revamped it.

Well, give it a try.
When i tried to uninstal it it got botched up too.
All the icons remained and my pc thought it was still there, thus tried to open it, and failed.

using 174,000k right now.

That's how much memory firefox is using right now on my computer.

it goes back to what I said about it being to bloated.

How many tabs were you using to bring it's usage up to 174m?? I assume you must have had a lot open. Running FF 2.0 right now and using less than 50m of memory with 2 tabs in use. I don't think you will find a browser that wont start loading up your memory once you open a bunch of sites at the same time!

CipheR

ie7 is only using 40k on my machine, not sure why you wouldn't just use that, firefox is bloated, takes ages to load as well.

Just leaving firefox open for more than an hour will usually do it.

I've also become jaded by firefox but I still prefer it on windows. Mac side its Safari all the way even though CPU core temps jump when looking at Flash video files which isnt all that frequent.

I can't use IE7 with work related apps (SIEBEL), so I have to wait until our IT team tweaks the system to allow IE7

I recently ditched Safari in favour of Fx for about two months. In the end I got fed up with the crashing/speed/functionality/lack-of-nativeness, so went back to Safari, which I have to keep closing every so often as there seems to be a memory leak somewhere (on Intel) which caused it to slow down like a wench >_<

I also tried Camino, but couldn't handle the lack of features, and I still can't get to grips with Opera as a day-to-day browser.

Safari is still the daddy-o of Mac browsing, however there definitely seems to be some issues with the Intel build, as I can use it for days on end without a single shut-down on PPC.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back