the newest aim is annoying.. help

a dreams forever

OSNN Addict
before I formatted my comp I had an old version of aim but now I can't find that version. now with this newest aim. whenever I open my outlook express aim opens with it. how the hell do I stop this? plus when I sign on. some stupid welcome page opens with it and I see no where in the options to turn it off. help please :(

It's been more than a year since I used the official AIM client, so I might be off here and there, but here goes...

First, you need to reset your default IM application to something other than AIM. Open up the Add/Remove Programs item and select the "Set Program Access and Defaults" tab. Change the default IM application to something else. That should, I believe, prevent AIM from opening up with Outlook Express.

The welcome page you're referring to is the "AIM Today" window, I think. I'm pretty sure there's a way to turn it off in the AIM options/preferences dialog. Try looking for something like "AIM Today" once again. As I said, I don't have AIM installed, so I can't really check.

Finally, if you prefer an older version of AIM to the new one, you can pick up a copy of the installer for just about any version here, starting from AIM 1.0 :)
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=aim

If you are gonna use an official client, I highly recommend searching out an app called aim+ (aimplus) and using that with an older version from oldversion.com

I tried the new aim for about five minutes and took it out .. I could not believe all the adware, trojanware, pop up, pc crashing garbage that was with it, I know AOL is pretty much bankrupt, but that is rediculous .. I would do like dreamliner said .. I don't know if you would be able to find an older version of the program on the aim website. You would probably have to look at other sources .. I would also recommend switching to trillian ..

Johnny said:
I don't know if you would be able to find an older version of the program on the aim website.
The link is right there in my post.
Starting all the way back from AIM 1.0 :)

I'm also wondering if they are going to start doing like MSN is. They are making it so only the current version of Messenger can access the network .. It wouldn't surprise me if AOL did the same thing ..

Yeah, the really old versions won't work. There's still a chance that some of the more recent ones might though.

Johnny said:
I'm also wondering if they are going to start doing like MSN is. They are making it so only the current version of Messenger can access the network .. It wouldn't surprise me if AOL did the same thing ..
they'll try to do that I'm sure but they wont' be successful. MSN still works with trillian, I'm logged in right now.

dom02 said:
MSN still works with trillian, I'm logged in right now.

Same here, If you cant use an older version maybe try lookin at an app like Trillian.

of course it will work with trillian. Trillian is all I use ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back