The new Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW kills the Apple display

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Oh my goodness...the 20" Apple Cinema Display just got steamrolled. Badly.

22_320-4111.jpg

Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW:
- Size: 20.1" viewable
- Dot pitch (lower = better): 0.255 mm pixel pitch
- Max/Native Res: 1680x1050
- Brightness (higher = better): 300 cd/m2
- Contrast Ratio (higher = better): 600:1
- Response time (lower = better): 12 ms
- Connections: DVI, VGA, S-Video, 4 USB 2.0 ports
- Price: $799. (before rebates)

Compare that to:

Apple 20" Display:
- Size: 20" viewable
- Dot pitch (smaller = better): 0.258 mm pixel pitch
- Max/Native Res: 1680x1050
- Brightness (higher = better): 250 cd/m2
- Contrast Ratio (higher = better): 400:1
- Response time (lower = better): 16 ms
- Connections: DVI, 2 USB 2.0 ports, 2 Firewire 400 ports
- Price: $1,299. WTF?

Good job ripping off your loyal (can we say a little too loyal?) customers, Apple.
wink.gif

yah I've been keeping my eye on the 2005...

quite a few people have bought them actually...

.......SHIZ!!!! me wants. wonder if it'd even fit on my desk's monitor stand thingy..... would be a tight squeeze probably. maybe price will drop in a month or so. (hey, we can dream, can't we?)

Yeah you know the price will drop in a while it always does . !!!!

Great lookiing screen thats for sure.

ElementalDragon said:
maybe price will drop in a month or so. (hey, we can dream, can't we?)
I'm sure it will. If you're serious about it, look for coupon codes too. Those tend to bring down prices quite a bit.
Rule of thumb: Never buy anything from Dell without coupon codes.
smile.gif

Edit: Whoa...if you're lucky, you can grab this for $564 shipped. Looks like you can get a 25% off LCDs coupon from the Dellf promotion (I posted this here a couple of days ago). You can also watch this thread for coupons that people aren't using. Then use code BNV0GB8?VWLFTC to get an additional $35 off. And free shipping is standard.

Damn.

I get calls for them every day on my extension :) its pretty funny actually...

that and the inspiron 9200 are selling like hot potatoes

Sazar said:
that and the inspiron 9200 are selling like hot potatoes
I read the reviews for the 9200, and while it's a little too big for my tastes (I wouldn't buy any 17" notebook, really), the battery life of the thing really amazed me. You don't usually see a notebook that powerful running for almost 5 hours on a single charge.
Plus I like the fact that it has the same design and colors as the 700m. :)

the 9200 can be equipped with 2 internal batteries... the other laptops generally only have 1 internal and 1 modular for simultaneous use..

also keep in mind it uses a pentium M v/s a p4... so battery life kicks up automatically...

btw how long does the 700m you have last? my 600m lasts around 3.5 hrs - 4 hrs depending on the amount of work I do... only thing I am unhappy about is that I was used to the toshiba's key placement and this one is a little different... but I LOVE the sXGA display... the higher resolution ROCKS... ;)

might write a review when we get our new digital camera...

The 700m is my dad's. I have the 5100 which I got a year and a half ago.
smile.gif

I haven't tested the battery life during regular use. The only time I tried was on the drive to San Fransisco. I was able to watch two full two hour movies at full brightness, and there was still about 15-20% charge remaining. That's about 4.5 hours. I imagine if it were just used for word processing, internet surfing, email etc, it would easily be able to hit the 5-5.5 hour mark.

Of course, this is with the 65WHr battery. Nobody should even consider buying the 700m without this battery. The smaller one would last for just about 3 hours. As I mentioned in my review though, the screen is the most brilliant part of the 700m - WXGA reflective. Really, really nice.

thats pretty kewl :)

I have my power profile running a little heavier mainly coz I prefer the lcd contrast not to drop too much when I am logged on...

I am just quirky like that :)

Hehe, we went a little off-topic methinks.
Sooo, anyone here on OSNN getting a 2005FPW?
grin.gif

if I can get the wife convinced..

she has a dell preferred account, and has about 3g's left on it...

:cool:

we'll see... maybe once we pay off the notebook and the printer I'll use it to get the flatpanel... was looking @ the 2001fp first and foremost, but have changed my mind... the 2005 is the same price and better all round... and I do watch a lot of movies with it :)

with my job, I earn bonus points that I can apply to an online store we have... I might still be able to "purchase" one that way after a couple of months...

do you or your dad have a dell preferred account?

Sazar said:
do you or your dad have a dell preferred account?
No, both machines were bought on a credit card, and paid off by the end of the month. :)

same thing with the dell preferred account :)

cept if you get teh no interest till 2006 or no payments for 90 days its a nice thing to have... you can still pay it all off @ once, no penalty...

I'm just looking to pay off the laptop first and then go for something else...

Sazar said:
cept if you get teh no interest till 2006 or no payments for 90 days its a nice thing to have... you can still pay it all off @ once, no penalty...
Yeah, that can be quite handy. :)

Ahhhh but the dell display does not have firewire ports ;) :D
On a serious note now I want one but how can I justify it? hmmmm

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back