The mysterious video card...

skizo

OSNN Addict
Okay, so this guy gives this video card that he hasn't used in a bit and he can't remember the brand of it (He thought it may be an nvidia 4600). I figure, no biggie, normally they're written somewhere on the card. I take home this card and find that the brand is not written on the card. I looked through Google's image search for the nvidia 4600 but that video card looks different to what I have. The board looks very similar, but it is different. Also, there is a little sticker on a part of the board that just says '4600'. How do I find out what it is? I don't even know what drivers to download??

edit: If I had a digital camera I'd just take a pic and post it.

Put it in a computer and Windows will ID it under device manager-display adapter.

Or Sisoft Sandra might provide more info.

Or the 3D Mark xx benchmarks might pull off more details too.

The brand and detail characteristics are stored in on card memory.

or dxdiag could do that too, and so does CCleaner, many apps on windows could tell you what it is

I just said screw it and put it in. Ends up it is an nVidia GeForce ti4600 128MB. Everything seems to be working correctly except for my games, which sucks because that's why I upgraded in the first place.

My Call of Duty: UO game has no picture at all, just a blank screen. I can still hear the audio though. Any suggestions?

My FarCry game starts to load properly but then goes to a green flickering screen. Again, the audio is fine though. Any suggestions?

The only thing I can figure is that since I had to download the drivers, that I maybe didn't get one of those deep seeded BIOS portions that you get with the cd? Does that sound feasable to the experts?

Did you download the newest drivers? Also, make sure the fan is running on the card, and that it is getting proper cooling. You may want to take the label off of the fan that is on the GPU and lube it up, to help it spin better.

You have to clean out the old drivers first. drivercleaner is the most highly recommended but more work. Then there is nastyfileremover nfr.exe.

Both are freeware, majorgeeks.com should have them.

After you strip out the garbage do a clean driver install with generic nvidia driver pack off their website..

Did you download the newest drivers? Also, make sure the fan is running on the card, and that it is getting proper cooling. You may want to take the label off of the fan that is on the GPU and lube it up, to help it spin better.

Yeah, the fan is working, everything is good I think on theat end.

You have to clean out the old drivers first. drivercleaner is the most highly recommended but more work. Then there is nastyfileremover nfr.exe.

Both are freeware, majorgeeks.com should have them.

After you strip out the garbage do a clean driver install with generic nvidia driver pack off their website..
Ran drivercleaner, rebooted, reinstalled nVidia GeForce ti4600 128MB driver. The problem still exists though.

This is what I've done so far other than the above stated:
  1. Reset default settings for games.
  2. Put refresh rate back down to 60 for both monitors.

Okay, this is what I decided to do...and it worked:

I got tired of not being able to figure out a solution and not being able to play my game anymore. I decided to reinsert my Radeon 8500 64MB into the pc until I figured out a solution. Guess what, I had the same problem when I reinserted that card. You can only imagine my frustration. Then I remembered that I still had the driver disc for that card though and decided to try a complete reinstall with it.. So after a bit of rumaging (spelling?), I found the disc and reinstalled the Radeon 8500 drivers and rebooted. The game is now working. That got me thinking about the proper order of operations and why that just worked. I decided to run System Restore back to Wednesday which was before I started messing with the new card. After I ran system restore, the computer was back to it's old self as it should be. I went and downloaded the drivers again for the GeForce ti4600 128MB but DID NOT install them. I then powered down the pc and put the GeForce card back in the slot. Powered up the computer, waited for Windows to detect it, and ran the drivers. Viola! Finally! Success! Yes, it worked. Everything works great!

The bad news however is that I tried turning up the graphics a bit in Call of Duty:UO, and it lags. I have to put the settings right back where they were with the Radeon 8500 64MB for the game to run properly. Ain't that a bitch...

*Runs off to study overclocking*

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back