The Multi-Core/Multi-Processor Club

Re: AMD 64-bit Dual Core Processor Club

Perris brings up a good point with distributed computing projects. Reason, one can have the comp work on more then one WU, as each core can do it's own. Whether it's folding, one of the BOINC projects (of which folding will be joining though their BOINC project is in beta, so they haven't widely advertized it yet), or whatever... The prospects of increasing one's credit score, erm I mean contribution :D is definitely there, and some have upgraded their comps just for that, hehe

Memory can pose a slight issue, though I'm not sure something else isn't going on in my system with kernel paged pool getting so large, but with 32-bit winXP a 128 MB hard limit is set, and getting close to that hard limit in kernel size seems to pose a slow down of it's own.

Oh, and speaking of memory, it doesn't go without saying that if one's going to run 2 WUs, mind the memory requirements. Either the extra large Folding WUs (the 600+ point ones), or some of these BOINC projects also, take a crap load of RAM per WU. The latter can also make matters worse, as some projects (like Climate Predictor with it's like 1,000 hour WUs, have save points few and far between). The answer is to leave all projects in memory even when not processing, and then x2 if one schedules to 2 cores. With just 1 core and 6 projects memory at the desktop can hover at about 850 MB, without any of my own apps started in the foreground. Only about 350 - 400 to the OS and other stuff, as shutting BOINC down drops it to about here. 450-500 MB x 2 (each WU scheduling to both cores) is a sizeable chunk of RAM, with the only saving grace being that the WU not actively being processed at the moment can be swapped out to the paging file...

Last edited:

Son Goku said:
. The answer is to leave all projects in memory even when not processing

if you want to make sure a working set is considered last for memory management, don't minimize the app, just launch window over window

if you want a particular app considered first for memory management, minimize it first

minimized programs are first considered when memory goes under pressure, in a "least recently used" algorithm

perris said:
if you want to make sure a working set is considered last for memory management, don't minimize the app, just launch window over window

if you want a particular app considered first for memory management, minimize it first

minimized programs are first considered when memory goes under pressure, in a "least recently used" algorithm

That wouldn't help much with BOINC (and Folding perhaps) from what I have seen. You see, BOINC itself isn't the science app, but is a scheduling program, that gives time slices to each of the projects and will switch between (re-squedule them) based on one's preferences (aka resource share) and how long they've been running. It's slightly more complicated, as if a WU is about ready to expire, it then gives priority to processing that to meet deadlines... Also if one project runs outa work, or goes down due to technical difficulties at the server end, then the client being unable to do work for that project, would have to schedule other projects in it's place.

However, what loads up is a given core client, which could either run as an application, or as an NT service. (Both methods of install are supported.) Each project is then loaded up as it's own seperate background project. When something's scheduled to run, the BOINC CC loads up the science app, and also serves as an API layer between that app, and the OS itself. Really the only indicator, is that on the preferences page, it's specified "swap space will be used, if set to yes".

Some of the worst offenders (in terms of memory usage) seems to be Rosseta (which at the worst, can use about 150 MB for it's own data alone), and CPDN which can use upwards towards 250-300 MB. That's just 1 WU, which would run on 1 core, and counting the memory usage as reported by Task Manager for the science app alone. The science app itself can't be maximized, as it runs under BOINC and has no window of it's own...

Last edited:

Hey All,
I joined the ranks of Dual Core Processors in August, I built my own pc, and the specs are in my signature, i was wondering though if windows 64-bit would work on the dual cores, i kno it works on my laptop but....
- Jack

Just setup my new system also. Had some major problems at 1st but in the end it was all my fault. I had the ram running in 1 channel when it should have been running in dual channel. So 1 stick in each channel now and everything is fine. Hence the name dual channel. :) I don't think I am going to mess with overclocking anything.

Amd Athlon x2 3800+ w/stock cooling
MSI K8N Neo4
eVGA 7800GT
2 gb Ocz Dual Channel Platinum
2x 160 gb Hitachi Sata Hdd in Raid 0
1x 20 gb Ibm Deskstar Ide Hdd (ide)
1x 100 gb Western Digital Hdd (ide)

Vanquished said:
Hey All,
I joined the ranks of Dual Core Processors in August, I built my own pc, and the specs are in my signature, i was wondering though if windows 64-bit would work on the dual cores, i kno it works on my laptop but....
- Jack

hehe, specs? :D

Bucky Badger said:
for win xp 32bit, should I download the ver 1.2.2.2, May '05. the other stuff is just added software?? Thx

Umm, well, you might want to post this in it's own thread, as has been suggested. I hadn't even noticed this till I checked today... Not sure wrt others.

As to myself, I just put on the nForce drivers... I didn't even look to see if AMD had their own drivers, so not sure if those are the lattest...

I guess I am now a member, as of tomorrow I will be the proud owner of an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ :)

hehe, specs?

What you mean?
-Jack

Specs are in my sig :smoker:

EDIT: Oops, just realized you weren't talking to me :s

Vanquished said:
hehe, specs?

What you mean?
-Jack

Well, I meant that your post said you got an X2 and all... But didn't say much about your machine itself :D AKA, what ya got ;)

This your chance to show the length of your e-pen0s to the rest of the group :laugh: Yeah, I see they're in the sig, looking this time. Didn't look before...

Editted because i made a hprrific error in posting previously?

Last edited:

Lol
E-Penos?
Hmm...

Vanquished said:
Editted because i made a hprrific error in posting previously?

Hmmm, I thought you didn't make mistakes.

I guess this means EOL for j00 :smoker:

Sazar said:
Hmmm, I thought you didn't make mistakes.

I guess this means EOL for j00 :smoker:
EOL?
Stop confusing me!
It wasnt horrific, somehow my post previous to the post i last made ended up way after the post before that...
-Jack

Vanquished said:
EOL?
Stop confusing me!
It wasnt horrific, somehow my post previous to the post i last made ended up way after the post before that...
-Jack

:cool:

EOL == end of life, i.e. I MUST END j00 :smoker:

:(

My CPU is still in the box since yesterday

:(

I hope to get time to build it this weekend!

*bump*

Jewelzz - this is the right thread :p

Muahahahahaha, thanks kc

Attachments

• mine-64.JPG
    mine-64.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 213

I stepped up to a x2 4400. I saw quite an increase in my 3dmark 06 score, but it was due primarily to a much higher cpu score.

I have this combined with the Abit AN8 Fatl1ty SLI board and 2gig of OCZ Titanium mem and a BFG 7800GTXOC

Its a nice running system but now I want the 7900GTXOC. Gonna have to sell off some more stuff to cure my upgrade fever...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back