The Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)

Found the problem area...

NetRyder,

Thanks to you I found the general area I am having the trouble. I used a registry cleaner that probably wiped out a section. I have no "mail to" folder in the registry after Classes\. :eek: So I could not continue make a registry change. I am sure thats my problem. What would you suggest I do next? Thanks,
Matt

Start>Run>regedit
Navigate down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Classes\ ,<<< thats as far as I could proceed.

HerbieHind said:
NetRyder,

Thanks to you I found the general area I am having the trouble. I used a registry cleaner that probably wiped out a section. I have no "mail to" folder in the registry after Classes\. :eek: So I could not continue make a registry change. I am sure thats my problem. What would you suggest I do next? Thanks,
Matt

Start>Run>regedit
Navigate down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Classes\ ,<<< thats as far as I could proceed.
Have you installed Thunderbird to "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\"?

HerbieHind said:
Yes, I tried a re-install of Tbird, should I try it again?
I don't think reinstalling will help if it didn't work the first time.
I've created a file with the required registry entries that you seem to be missing. Just download the attached ZIP file, unzip it to a temporary folder, and double click the enclosed .reg file. Select OK in the dialog box that comes up.
Once that's done, try clicking any email link in Firefox again to check if it opens Thunderbird.

Attachments

• mailto.zip
    390 bytes · Views: 121
Cool...glad I could help.
smile.gif

Why not set yer "History" setting to zero (0) days in the "Options" --> "Privacy" settings. That way there's no listing.

Also there is this:

http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

It may be something of interest though it does say that it won't work with Firefox. I have seen many work. If ya want to experement, up to you. :) Though I do remember another extention that did what you want... but I can't remember it's name ATM. I use t use it with 0.8

The lighter side of mozdev.org :p

You must have the "software installation" preference turned on for this to work. Free parking validation with every install!

Heh heh

About two or three weeks ago I converted to Mozilla as my primary browser of choice, and apart from one or two frames related issues all has been well.

But recently I have been alarmed to see Mozilla will somehow get into a situation where it hogs core.... Typically this will occur after a period when the browser is left unattended. I noticed initially because I run the folding@home application and was not posting results so fast anymore - now I have been on the lookout and can see Mozilla will also do this whilst in use and not only when inactive.

Has anyone else experienced this aberant behaviour? I did apply the security patch that was on the front page last week for Mozilla, and tested it, but cannot imagine that has any impact here. Thanks for any replies - wouold like to stick with Mozilla I think incase anyone just suggests moving to T-bird or Firefox.

I have noticed this behaviour also. To me, it almost seems as if firefox unloads itself from memory. If I leave it minimized for a while (20min+) and come back and maximize it, it is unresponsive for about 15-30 seconds and one of my hdd's is reading like mad.

dreamliner77 said:
almost seems as if firefox unloads itself from memory....

I think there is a "quick start" option which means that after a certain time inactive Mozilla drops to the system try and reactivation or restart is from memory, in fact I think this applies even if you close the browser to get a faster restart time. I am wondering if there is a link between these two at all now, and if I turn off the "stay resident" option will I resolve the loop that is hogging system resource? Any opinions? I'll go have a look see what else I can dig up elsewhere now...

[EDIT] Attached screenie to show where you can select stay resident (you might want to try this Dreamliner, to get more immediate start up, but let me know if it gives you looping issues too!)[/EDIT]

Attachments

• Mozilla.jpg
    Mozilla.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 154
dreamliner77 said:
I have noticed this behaviour also. To me, it almost seems as if firefox unloads itself from memory. If I leave it minimized for a while (20min+) and come back and maximize it, it is unresponsive for about 15-30 seconds and one of my hdd's is reading like mad.
Oh .. this is a known bug .. let me see if I can find it quick :)

-edit- found it :)

Users experiencing bug 76831, a very long delay restoring Mozilla after it has been minimized for several hours (Windows machines only), may find relief by setting the config.trim_on_minimize preference to false. See comment 0 and comment 303 in the bug for details.

Daeron Tinúviel said:
any extension to clear all entrys in the url bar???

I just wanted to add that there is a way to make the url bar not save anything at all, if that's what you have in mind. If (on windows xp) you go to c:/documents and settings/username/application data/mozilla/firefox/profiles/default.qee and set the history.dat file to read only, the url bar won't save any entries. I'm not sure of the location of the file on any other OS though, somebody else may be able to help out with that.

Ketchupisyourfriend said:
I just wanted to add that there is a way to make the url bar not save anything at all, if that's what you have in mind. If (on windows xp) you go to c:/documents and settings/username/application data/mozilla/firefox/profiles/default.qee and set the history.dat file to read only, the url bar won't save any entries. I'm not sure of the location of the file on any other OS though, somebody else may be able to help out with that.

It's like I said before, just set yer History setting to zero (0) days and I will NOT remember anything. You won't even have to worry about clearing it, since there won't be anything there. :)

Oh, and again for people that want to experement with Firefox and make web pages load faster. You can try the "Enable Pipelining" tweak. Since I still don't think it's on by default and there is no box to tick in the "Options" like there is in Mozilla.

see here: http://texturizer.net/firefox/tips.html#oth_pipelining

This was posted a while ago, but I think it was in the fist/part 1 thread. So for anyone that don't remember this. It does help. :)

Thunderbird question:
Is there a way for new mail to already be labeled when coming into the inbox? It changes the color only after I select what label I want. I would like it to already select it, according to a list of users that I select. Anyway for this to happen? Maybe a rule of some sort...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back