The Internet is gonna die?

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
I was watching fox 25 news (boston) and they had a segment on how the internet will inevitably die in teh near future....
I am in disbelief partially because its fox and they never tell the truth but also because what would we do with out the internet that we have all grown to know and love?
I just don't know!
-Jack

thats why they are working on internet2 ;)

Meh, they are just building up their new reality show called "The internet, you didn't know it existed did you :smoker: "

Well, they could always go to the Internet's twin brother that George Bush alluded to, when during the campaign the mentioned buldge in his jacket was brought up. So, that's what he meant when he said "I heard of rumors on the Internets..." :laugh: Perhaps it was plural then :D

Or it might have been the Internet that Al Gore was said to have invented :)

All joking aside, I would certainly hope not; else a degree, many years in college, and a hopeful career would be time down the drain... I don't think it would happen though ;)

I am in firm disbelief as well, the only reason i am worried is that they interviewed the one of the actual creators (not al gore) from MIT and he said it will break like everything else.

the internet might be a resource that governments can't to allow to continue, not only America either, most governments will get on board

too much information for people they don't want to have it, they want to control the media and the internet puts a monkey wrench in that strategy

national security, the patriot act and all that will be their excuse

if America wants to break the internet, they will break it, and no "internet II" will be immune if America wants to shut it down.

there will be a separate internet for those in the small circle of their fraternity that they allow in, but even that will have prescribed content

the internet will be for a scant few if things continue on their present course

Last edited:
Wow...
You just scared me a lot...
I truly do hope you are full of it and don't know what you are saying, or we are all gonna be screwed :)
-Jack

Perris stop scaring the children. :)

All kidding aside, once the big companies figure out how to charge us for bandwidth properly, teh internet will survive, Internet 2 is gonna be blistering fast (Image of your HD backed up in seconds).

Well, if some services try to nickle and dime everything, to drain people of their cash; the market might well respond if all don't do this. People aren't apt to want to pay for something (like sending email), that they've gotten free for so long...

Some of the bigger limits (and there are some), such as running out of IP addresses, is why IP v6 is in place. The problem is that there are only 4 billion possible IP addresses (a 32-bit number), and even here they aren't all useable. A breakdown leaves:

- 255 possible class A networks (with 16 million clients), albeit only 0-127 in the first octet are used for class A liscenses. The entire block of 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255 is also set aside as a non-routable block of addresses. So right there, 16 million addresses are tossed out...

Also, firms that have class A liscenses (which are relatively few), who don't need 16 million addresses, more addresses waisted right there, as well as on any network the first address (the network address), and the last (broadcast address) being unable to be assigned are more unuseable addresses. This would be more noticeable with class C, or stub networks (subnetted to a /30 mask, as there are only 4 addresses on them, with 1/2 being non-assignable). If you're ISP does what quest did when I had quest.net and gives a 66.x.x.x address (which broadband providers give out to their DSL, and possibly cable? customers), subnetted with a /30 address, it can come into play in the class A netblock however. My current ISP subnets it also, but only to a /24 subnet mask...

- class B: 65,000 (approx) netblocks of aprox 65000 addresses (aka can be broken up as 2 16-bit numbers for network and host), albeit the class B only ranges from 128-170 or there abouts, with one of it's net blocks set aside for private addresses. A number of addresses are thrown out here, and not just 1 class B netblock alone...

- class C: 16 mill networks of 255 (really 255-2) hosts... But once again, anything with a 192.168 at the front gets thrown out, so 65k there...

They're fast comming to need a larger then 32-bit network address...

As to the government, there is one limit on their actions. Whatever they want to do, they want to maintain a "good public image". If/when the public cries fowl, to try to maintain good PR, even those without conscience or a sense of morality, will many times back off for a time, while continuing to "test the limits" wrt what they can get away with. Those who are in fact immoral don't always want to be obvious, or to be seen for what they are...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back