“THE HOBBIT” is a go

tdinc

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Los Angeles, CA (Tuesday, December 18, 2007) Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson; Harry Sloan, Chairman and CEO, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM); Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs of New Line Cinema have jointly announced today that they have entered into the following series of agreements:

* MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, “The Hobbit” and a sequel to “The Hobbit.” New Line will distribute in North America and MGM will distribute internationally.

* Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as Executive Producers of two films based on “The Hobbit.” New Line will manage the production of the films, which will be shot simultaneously.
* Peter Jackson and New Line have settled all litigation relating to the “Lord of the Rings” (LOTR) Trilogy.

Said Peter Jackson, “I’m very pleased that we’ve been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line. ‘The Lord of the Rings’ is a legacy we proudly share with Bob and Michael, and together, we share that legacy with millions of loyal fans all over the world. We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth.

Nice :)

This doesn't actually say that Jackson will be directing the films, just that he will be an Executive Producer. I hope he directs them himself.

MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, “The Hobbit” and a sequel to “The Hobbit.”

Hmm, sequel to The Hobbit is The Lord of the Rings which has already been done in film.

I'm petty sure they plan to make the second film based on the appendix material from the all the books (well the material that references the periods during the time between the Hobbit and the LOTR which is quote a few years)

Well there are essentially 2 stories. The first could be a fellow-ship style one where Gandalf gets Bilbo and the dwarves and they set off on their quest and the second could be based on the big battle and the riches they all earn.

That's what I would do anyways :)

It would allow me to pace my movies accordingly.

Saw this earlier, nice 180. :) Happy to see Jackson involved.

Well there are essentially 2 stories. The first could be a fellow-ship style one where Gandalf gets Bilbo and the dwarves and they set off on their quest and the second could be based on the big battle and the riches they all earn.

This is plausible, but The Hobbit is quite a bit shorter than the LoTR Trilogy so I would imagine if they did split the single volume Hobbit into two movies they would probably not be the three hour Epic's we got to experience with LoTR.

I was thinking the same thing. That Battle could play out in a whole movie basically.

There is a rumor of Guillermo Del Toro directing and that would make me very happy if Jackson isn't doing it. Also rumored is Alfonso Cuaron from the HP 3 (prisoner of azkaban). Those two would make me happy.

The Hobbit is definitely a big enough story to put into two very highly grossing movies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back