the greatest trilogy of all time

Which is the greatest trilogy of all time?

• Back to the Future

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • The Godfather

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Indiana Jones

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Lord of the Rings

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • Star Wars (Episodes IV-VI)

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • The Matrix

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
Lord of the Rings totally!! Nothing touches it for entertainment, achievement, casting, technological prowess...the list goes on. ;) Im not a Tolkien die-hard but these three films were just incredible. How often do you find yourself waiting impatiently for a year to see the next installment? Not often. Not ever for me.

Can't believe anyone here would rate the Matrix above LoTR (or any of those on the list to be honest!). The first Matrix was great....the other two were appalling, muddled, badly acted pieces of tripe that will soon be forgotten by all but the obsessed.

LoTR will go down in history as one of (if not THE) greatest movies ever made. The old and the young love it alike...cant argue with that!

....damn, still cant believe people voted for the Matrix. Makes me retch. ;)

Teddy said:
....damn, still cant believe people voted for the Matrix. Makes me retch. ;)

I agree, Teddy. The Matrix was revolutionary in some respects, but as a complete package, the trilogy was lacking. The 2nd and 3rd installments didn't leave us with as much meaning as the 1st. There was so much philosophy and spirituality in the 1st film, but those things were replaced to a great deal by special effects and action in the 2nd and 3rd films. Don't get me wrong, the trilogy didn't completely lose meaning and depth as it progressed, but the meaning kind of took a backseat to the rest.

The Lord of the Rings was solid through and through. It had every bit the action, adventure, and visual appeal that The Matrix had, but it also had heart and depth from beginning to end. That is what The Matrix lost.

Very hard choice...
Back to the Future: I love this film.
Lord of the Rings: Didn't like it when it first came out, saw last week the Fellowship of the ring, tomorrow I will on on DVD Two towers and next week on the cinema the last one.
Indiana Jones: Huge series too !
Matrix: this was my choice, awsome, it changed hollywood I think, the best series ever created, I am just waiting what are the Wochovsky Bros. coming up next...

Rambo: Interesting choice. Didn't consider that one, but I also wouldn't have considered anyone voting for it. :p

Rocky: There were more than 3 of these. :cool:

luish said:
Matrix: it changed hollywood I think, the best series ever created,...

You're fooking killing me here!!!! :eek:

As a Trilogy it done NOTHING to change hollywood, just introduced some new special effects.

Even the bullet-time (the Matrix's big puller) wasn't new...it'd been in another film before it.

The acting....mostly average, occasionally appalling.

The script...mostly appalling, occasionally average.

The only good thing about this Trilogy was the first film. Even then it had it's flaws.

The second and third installments were ill-thought-out and rushed. I didnt 'care' for any of the characters..for example, when Trinity died i didnt feel anywhere near the emotion i felt when, well, i watched any 30 second clip of the Lord of the Rings! Even the trailers had more effect on me than any part of the Matrix (and i'm genuine about that!).

Nothing personl buddy...but sheesh!. :rolleyes: < if i could use a swear word i would!

lol

Matrix - Only liked the first 1
LOTR - Never Watched so cant say
Godfather - ^^^^^
BTTF - Good
Star Wars - Amzeing
Indiana Jones - ^^^^^

Still id rather watch Rambo ovver any of them ;)

None other than Tolkiens masterpiece which Peter Jackson brought to life. LOTR Baby :D

I meant to mention this before about The Matrix and Teddy reminded me. Keanu Reeves... not an outstanding actor by any stretch. And some of the dialogue throughout all 3 films was pretty rough. From the standpoint of performances, I thought that Hugo Weaving (Smith) did the best acting job in the trilogy. And guess what?... he's in LotR too! But like Teddy said, and like I meant to mention before, The Matrix was pretty weak at times in dialogue and acting. The same can actually be said for Star Wars, but not nearly to the same degree.

From those choices, I will say LOTR, even though I am the furthest from its fan cult. I will give it credit, however, for creating an expansive fantasy world and taking great effort to be true to the spirit of J.R.R. Tolkien; not many film trilogies will take the time for *both* special effects and script.

But my favorite film trilogy of all time is still Krzysztof Kieslowski's "Three Colours Trilogy" ("Blue," "White," "Red"). It evokes things in me that LOTR could never evoke, no matter all the special effects and blockbuster cast in the world.

Melon

Teddy said:
As a Trilogy it done NOTHING to change hollywood, just introduced some new special effects.

You're correct, but I think you are underestimating the impact of those special effects on Hollywood. There are countless films that are imitating them nowadays.

Melon

melon said:
From those choices, I will say LOTR, even though I am the furthest from its fan cult.
.....with the picture of an Elf as his avatar! hehe ;)

But my favorite film trilogy of all time is still Krzysztof Kieslowski's "Three Colours Trilogy" ("Blue," "White," "Red").

Hmmm....i've heard of (but never seen) these films. Are they really
that good? Are they available in box set?!

PS In all my time here...'that' was my first ever use of italic in these forums! Tadaa!

Teddy said:
.....with the picture of an Elf as his avatar! hehe ;)

LOL...funny you mention that. My avatar is taken from Square-Enix's "Final Fantasy XII" site. The game series, itself, is probably influenced in part by LOTR, but I think that the visuals for LOTR could possibly have been influenced by the FF series.

Hmmm....i've heard of (but never seen) these films. Are they really
that good? Are they available in box set?!

I hope this link works...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...4/102-4393996-8930514?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

It will depend on your tastes in film. It is not an epic trilogy like the others posted here. Instead, it is more "artsy" and is in French, but I, personally, think that the scripts of these films are 100% perfect, and every word uttered is so carefully chosen that I do not notice any "weak" moments.

But I don't know your tastes in film, so you may not like it. :p

Melon

Teddy said:
Such as?...

Almost every Hollywood action film these days has some special effect that plays with time--i.e., a sudden explosion/crash that is then abruptly brought to slow motion for several seconds and then abruptly sped up--or does that whole 360-degree slow motion turn.

Melon

melon said:
But I don't know your tastes in film, so you may not like it. :p

It's top notch if i do say so myself! ;) Im checking it out now.

I don't mean to jump on the flame train but I think the killing of trinity in the end of the 1st or even begining of the 2nd matrix would have been MUCH better for the series overall. The poor/unfeeling emotion and interacting between her and neo just destroyed a series of films that could have been great.

There are some pretty good movies there. I need to go with LOTR because of the author. I read about him and what he did, and he just seems amazing. Then when the new movies came out, the amazing job they did on them and all the actors. It's just crazy, u gotta love it!

I think for this to be a fair poll, it would have to be taken 5 years from now, when all the dust has settled from the LOTR... I think star wars is more watchable, the LOTR is a great series, very grand, but I always loved starwars and that never really faded, it's hard to say about how I'll fell of LOTR in 20 years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back