The Five Stages of Intel Macs

NetRyder said:
Plenty of benchmarks comparing the Pentium M to the Athlon 64 (and Pentium 4) here on AnandTech:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2129&p=7
quick search the 64 hs the edge

quick skim

When someone says games, why do people always think first person shooters? Most games are not fps, and many gamers don't play fps.

Take a look at two laptops:

Dell 9300: 2.0Ghz Pentium M, 1GB of RAM, 80GB HD, DVD DL burner, GeForce 6800, widescreen, wireless. $2200 after dell coupons.

Gateway 7426GX: 2.4Ghz Athlon 64 3700, 1GB of RAM, 100GB HD, DVD DL burner, Radeon 9600, widescreen, wireless. $1400 at Best Buy.

For first person shooters, the dell will clearly outperform the gateway by a wide margin. In just about everything else, the Gateway will spank the Dell. Not by a lot, but spank it it will. The Athlon 64 3700 is probably the most powerfull mobile processor on the market. You can drop the price on that Dell by a couple of hundred dollars and settle for a 1.8Ghz Dothan, but that will only widen the performance gap.

So...if you're not a first person shooter junky...why spend $800 dollars more on a slower laptop that will give you more frames per second in Doom 3??

That said, the 9600 in that Gateway can play Half Life 2 at native screen resolution at over 40 frames per second average without antialiasing. It can play Doom 3 on medium quality with all effects except antialiasing at good frame rates...usually about 25 to 30 fps at 1024x768.

What this means is that the 9600 can handle modern games and future games for many years (though perhaps not future first person shooters), and the Athlon 64 3700 paired with a gig of RAM can handle future operating systems and applications for longer than the life expectancy of a laptop.

You're missing two critical points there, perris.

1) In those two laptops, the A64 3700+ is a 2.4GHz CPU, while the PM 755 is a 2.0GHz CPU. Testing at the same clock speeds, the performance difference between the PM and the A64 is negligible in almost every task other than intensive workstation applications like 3D rendering (this is where the Pentium 4 shines).

2) The battery life of the PM-based laptop, assuming both laptops use batteries with the same WHr rating, would be significantly higher than that of the A64 system. Unless a laptop is a desktop replacement class machine, battery life is actually one of the most critical considerations for a potential buyer.

I'm reading that from my point of view and not a typical laptop user I guess

I never run out of batteries with this lap...batery life is a couple of hours...I'm looking forward also to the 64 apps and OS.

my laptop has always been my portable desktop, and am on batteries almost never

695.gif

perris said:
quick search the 64 hs the edge

quick skim

When someone says games, why do people always think first person shooters? Most games are not fps, and many gamers don't play fps.

Take a look at two laptops:

Dell 9300: 2.0Ghz Pentium M, 1GB of RAM, 80GB HD, DVD DL burner, GeForce 6800, widescreen, wireless. $2200 after dell coupons.

Gateway 7426GX: 2.4Ghz Athlon 64 3700, 1GB of RAM, 100GB HD, DVD DL burner, Radeon 9600, widescreen, wireless. $1400 at Best Buy.

For first person shooters, the dell will clearly outperform the gateway by a wide margin. In just about everything else, the Gateway will spank the Dell. Not by a lot, but spank it it will. The Athlon 64 3700 is probably the most powerfull mobile processor on the market. You can drop the price on that Dell by a couple of hundred dollars and settle for a 1.8Ghz Dothan, but that will only widen the performance gap.

So...if you're not a first person shooter junky...why spend $800 dollars more on a slower laptop that will give you more frames per second in Doom 3??

That said, the 9600 in that Gateway can play Half Life 2 at native screen resolution at over 40 frames per second average without antialiasing. It can play Doom 3 on medium quality with all effects except antialiasing at good frame rates...usually about 25 to 30 fps at 1024x768.

What this means is that the 9600 can handle modern games and future games for many years (though perhaps not future first person shooters), and the Athlon 64 3700 paired with a gig of RAM can handle future operating systems and applications for longer than the life expectancy of a laptop.

This comparison is simply not accurate.

First of all the 9300 has a better display than the Gateway you are looking at, secondly the price is lower than the comparison with today's promo's. $1800 to be precise. Thirdly what warranty is available with the Gateway? This has to be considered, the Dell 9300 comes with a 3/4 year on-site warranty. Factor that in. And Net already talked about clock speeds.

Now, when you do the comparison apples to apples, the Dothan with the 533mhz FSB is pretty good.

My notebook which I updated has that as well and compared to my desktop I don't notice a drop in performance for day to day apps. Naturally I don't have the same speed, I have a 1.6 GHz processor (730), but I am not losing out wrt performance.

The primary advantage is battery life with a Dothan. Thats what I love about it.

Sazar said:
This comparison is simply not accurate.

First of all the 9300 has a better display than the Gateway you are looking at, secondly the price is lower than the comparison with today's promo's. $1800 to be precise. Thirdly what warranty is available with the Gateway? This has to be considered, the Dell 9300 comes with a 3/4 year on-site warranty. Factor that in.

Now, when you do the comparison apples to apples, the Dothan with the 533mhz FSB is pretty good.

My notebook which I updated has that as well and compared to my desktop I don't notice a drop in performance for day to day apps. Naturally I don't have the same speed, I have a 1.6 GHz processor (730), but I am not losing out wrt performance.

The primary advantage is battery life with a Dothan. Thats what I love about it.
I notice no drop in day to day activity when on batteries, ...things like virus scanning would be exceptions...and this is faster then the intel desktops that just came into the office two weeks ago

my guarantee is 6 months, free replacement no matter what the issue...I can swap hardrives if I want

my battery life is a couple of hours, and I am almost always plugged in regardless.

a 4 hour batery life would be nice...what do you get from your battery?

plus add to that the value of a free xp 64 pro operating system from ms don't forget

Last edited:
Damn X-Istence, that comic was a doozy.

Oh those poor zealots, what a pill to swallow. And yes, they do swallow.

har har har har har :p

In Computer Heaven:

The management is from Intel,
The design and construction is done by Apple,
The marketing is done by Microsoft,
IBM provides the support,
Gateway determines the pricing.

In Computer Hell:

The management is from Apple,
Microsoft does design and construction,
IBM handles the marketing,
The support is from Gateway,
Intel sets the price.

:D

gonaads said:
In Computer Heaven:

The management is from Intel,
The design and construction is done by Apple,
The marketing is done by Microsoft,
IBM provides the support,
Gateway determines the pricing.

In Computer Hell:

The management is from Apple,
Microsoft does design and construction,
IBM handles the marketing,
The support is from Gateway,
Intel sets the price.

:D

:laugh:

Actually, I'd say that Apple also does the marketing in Heaven. *cue iPod commercial* Of course that leaves Microsoft out. :p

“I felt something, a disturbance in the network, as if a million Mac zealots cried out in horror and were suddenly silenced.”

:p

muzikool said:
Actually, I'd say that Apple also does the marketing in Heaven. *cue iPod commercial*

*Jumping, dancing silhouettes on brightly colored backgrounds*
"Un dos tres catorce [...] ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya yaaa"
*White apple logo on brightly colored background*

*Hundreds of people go out and buy iPods*

/me is confused.
laugh.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back