The Five Stages of Intel Macs

melon said:
If Apple keeps OS X proprietary and overprices it all, chances are their market share will remain the same paltry 2% or less anyway. Protectionism only goes so far...the long spiral to obsolescence.

Melon

Macs have an installed user base of 16%. The misconception is from market share which is calculated as follows:

Sales

A Windows user will buy a new PC every 2 years on avg., whereas a Mac user will buy a new PC every 4 - 5 years as the hardware lasts that long, and Mac OS still works on the older versions.

This is where the 4% marketshare comes from, which you are pertaining to. Mac people are loyal to Apple. That is something most people forget.

Hey X-Istence, when was the last time you upgraded to a newer Mac? And this includes buying a Laptop even if you already have a Mac.

And don't say 4 or 5 years ago.

gonaads said:
SPeedY_B must be freakin out right now. Well... maybe not. :p
Eh, *******s. I'm happy with the move. Everyone on the internet likes to blow things waaay out of proportion. Sad bastards.

Evil Marge said:
Awww they are cute ^^^^ I want one to look after :laugh:

So many directions to go with this... so little time. :p ;)

gonaads said:
Hey X-Istence, when was the last time you upgraded to a newer Mac? And this includes buying a Laptop even if you already have a Mac.

And don't say 4 or 5 years ago.

I bought my first Mac 1 year ago. I have had my previous PC for 4 years running FreeBSD, going strong in the 5th year now. There is no need to upgrade the system yet.

My latest AMD machine was built 3 years ago which was 1.2 Ghz Duron.

I am not planning to get a new iBook anywhere in the near future. I'll be getting an iMac though to have on my desk. But that won't be until the Intel switch is fully done, or at least the iMac lineup has the Intel CPU's in em.

Second, it is true that most Mac's last at yeast 4 years. A friend of mine still has his TiBook from 3 years ago, and still has not purchased a new version, as his current TiBook still runs Mac OS X. There are even people using the old clamshell G3 laptops and running Mac OS X panther, which was even before the TiBook. Most people do not see it fit to purchase another new Mac when their old one still runs everything they want it to run, albeit a bit slower. Mac OS X versions as they progressed have been getting faster and faster on older hardware. People see improvements from version to version.

Last edited:
And you know why they last 4 years? But first, my first PC lasted 4 years. It would have lasted longer but I wanted a whole new system. Back to the question... they last as long as they do because to upgrade you have to buy a whole new system if ya want all the latest bleeding edge stuff. With a PC, you can piece it out. With both Apple and PC you can upgrade/update the OS as far as the hardware will permit.

The Power Mac G4 Cube was an 8"x8"x8" masterpiece of space efficiency. It was a powerful system, but it was also a powerful system with no expansion capabilities. Were the G3s upgradeable? Many of these fancy beautiful designs kill themselves because of their design. A PC for all it's boxiness is still the easiest thing to upgrade. Pull the cover panel/door and there it is in all it's nekidness. :p Change whatever you want and hope the OS doesn't scream bloody murder. Yeah the Windows OS has a lot to be desired for plug 'n play but I would rather yank my hair out trying to deal with a hardware problem than shell out another paycheck because I thought the Cube was pretty but I was blinded by the shine and afterglow of smooth round plastic and didn't care that it was not expandable. Now the iMacs, G3 G4 and G5s began to be a easier animal to upgrade but didn't it take a while? The G3 all in ones, hey we can upgrade the RAM, oh and the HDD.

Now giving a brain transplant to a G3 to G4 status is a neat trick. To give your iMac a genuine Motorola G4 brain, all you have to do is send in your old processor board in working condition to a variety of companies, such as FastMac. You get a new processor and new, faster backside cache, using your original board. Hell, with a PC ya pop it open ya pull the CPU and ya pop in the new one. A BIOS update first is always best to make sure that yer MoBo will play nice with the new CPU.

I can go on and on, but it is all preference. You can use whatever ya like as long as it works for you. :D

First Windows made their system act more like a Mac...
Now Macs are getting more like Windows...
It's a vicious circle...

I wish somebody would make up my mind!!!!!!
:speechless:

Technically, it would be OS X getting to be more like Windows... which it's not. The Mac would be getting more like the PC, which it is in that it's going x86. Mac and PC are computers, OS X and Windows are operating systems. It doesn't make sense to compare Mac to Windows. ;)

muzikool said:
Technically, it would be OS X getting to be more like Windows... which it's not. The Mac would be getting more like the PC, which it is in that it's going x86. Mac and PC are computers, OS X and Windows are operating systems. It doesn't make sense to compare Mac to Windows. ;)
Okay, okay! I stand (actually, sit) corrected. I should have said, "PCs act more like Macs...etc..." I wrote that with only one cup of coffee in my system.
:dead:
Take a chill pill, muzikool! (...ever notice how chatboards bring out the impertinance in people?)

I was lucky enough to work for one of the first companies to use Macs for graphic design in California back in the 80s, and I sort of lead the Mac revolution in Portland, OR when I moved there. I was very loyal to Macs up until about 5 years ago. I switched to PC because they finally improved the system enough to support the software just as well as a Mac did, but the prices are SO much cheaper. I was able to have an entire PC built to my specs and needs for arount $600. Mac was just too proprietary and priced themselves too far out of my market range, and there is so much more software available for Windows environments.

I worked at a print shop last year that used Macs, and I realized that I really don't miss them. In fact, the font handling and "chooser" actually drove me nuts.

But I understand the loyalty issue. Computers are sort of like religion: most people tend to think theirs is best and look down their noses at anything different.

Last edited:
That's funny because I'm actually the opposite. I used PCs since Windows 3.1 up until last year, then I switched to Mac. I still mostly use PCs at work, but my home machine is a G5.

Macs have traditionally been expensive, but it's on account of Apple's costs being higher to produce the hardware. They are a hardware company, which many of the PC vendors are not. As a business, you could definitely assemble a PC for much less by getting parts from different vendors than if you were to manufacture all of the parts yourself. Also, the Mac mini was the first step in targeting a new consumer market.

As software availability goes, I think it's become very competitive. I wouldn't have switched if I had been afraid of incompatible software. Most major software vendors make Mac versions of their products, and there are tons of smaller apps available online from various sources. Availability of software was definitely an issue pre-OS X, but I don't consider it to be one anymore, unless you're a hardcore gamer.

I'm wondering what OS version you used at that print shop. The chooser has been weeded out of OS X and font handling has become much better, especially in the new 10.4.

joyojoy said:
Take a chill pill, muzikool! (...ever notice how chatboards bring out the impertinance in people?)
Why did you edit that in? You weren't being attacked, we're having a simple discussion. :rolleyes:

;) = friendliness

muzikool said:
So many directions to go with this... so little time. :p ;)
:cheeky:

Oh and I thought this was the joke thread,you people are getting carried away :lick:

*pulls out abacus*

Hey I still have my very first computer. And it still works. :D

Evil Marge said:
:cheeky:

Oh and I thought this was the joke thread,you people are getting carried away :lick:
Was just about to post the same thing. Wonder where good old humour went? :D

gonaads said:
*pulls out abacus*

Hey I still have my very first computer. And it still works. :D
And we have software at work which is "powered by abacus"!:D

SPeedY_B said:
Was just about to post the same thing. Wonder where good old humour went? :D
I think we need to bring out some more comics from CAD and AppleGeeks where they take jabs at each other.
Those are always fun, but I guess those would "offend" some people too. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back