the file of death

P

Powerchordpunk

I have a large .avi file which I was trying to restore using goback's file recovery console. After several minutes, goback said the file could not be restored. I am left with a large avi file that wont delete and isn't valid as an avi file. I'm guessing the file restoration failed because goback decided to stop logging due to massive disk use, which of course was goback in the first place. The error I get when I try to delete the file is:

Cannot delete (file): It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

Found this

Deleting files - Access Denied Error

Explorer.exe in XP has a bad habit of wanting to hang on to files, even when you have finished using them - therefore when you try to delete the file, XP will say "Access Denied".
This error occurs more often when working with media files - mp3, avi, mpeg etc.
TIP:
Close all open applications.
Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory with the offending files.
Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. select "explorer.exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process".
That will leave you with only the command prompt and the task manager running.
Now at the Command Prompt, its time to delete the file(s). Using the DEL command. Example c:>/movies/DEL movie.avi
Now the files are deleted, go to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task" button. in the dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK.

For folders the command is 'rd'.

Yeah I already did that and it worked. I didn't end explorer.exe though. just went into command prompt. Thanks anyway

no. F8 is just one button and you have to go back into msconfig and turn off selective startup or whatever it is when you are done.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back