The end of the internet...

My mate got this email today... :laugh:

"This is an important notice from The Board of Digital Communication, at 00:00 hours GMT on the 20th of March 2005 the internet will be swept by all 12 of our mainframe computers. This means that for approximately 4-5 hours (00:00 - 05:00 GMT) the whole of the internet will be down and all data will be removed from servers and computers, to prevent the data from your computer from being removed we strongly advise you to disconnect from the internet between these hours.

If you have a firewall, this will not help you our mainframe's operating system has been designed to bypass all firewalls no matter how sophisticated.

Please inform all of your friends about this by forwarding this email.

Thank you,

Eric Roland (Board of Digital Communication President)"

i wonder if there is a way to close the internet from one single source?? that would be hawt

no but there are a few key hubs that would bring it to a crawl if you shut them down.

LordOfLA said:
no but there are a few key hubs that would bring it to a crawl if you shut them down.

*takes out screwdriver*

There was some knob on the radio last week, a so called securtiy advisor that told the listeners that the interent will be unusable within 2 years as hackers and crackers will be easily able to get past any firewalls that we install.

I think he was being a drama Queen and really trying to make out some advertising for his company. This was the same knob that was on TV 1 year before windows 2000 was released telling us we don't need to get it as driver writers are not prepared for it.

His claim to fame was, he was a hacker when it was legal. Internet is here to stay get used to it!

Theres actually a history of these mesages, I think I read about it on snopes.com. They originally said "Please disconnect your phones as we are clearing the lines" or something similar and that the joke/hoax has moved with the times.

That is one of the better hoaxes out there.... and it doesn't try to extort you.

'swept' - why don't they swiffer instead? Get those dust bunnies !

'designed to bypass all firewalls no matter how sophisticated.' - doesn't that defeat the purpose of having one ?

If it exists:

I want that software. ;)

LordOfLA said:

Unfortunatly. The entire thing behind tcp/ip was that it was supposed to be able to route, even if one or multiple key routers went down.

LordOfLA said:

:eek: Damn, I spilled my cup of coffee. :rolleyes:

How does that commercial go???

"You have reached the end of the Internet. There is no more to see... Please go back." :p

Mastershakes said:
That is one of the better hoaxes out there.... and it doesn't try to extort you.

'swept' - why don't they swiffer instead? Get those dust bunnies !

'designed to bypass all firewalls no matter how sophisticated.' - doesn't that defeat the purpose of having one ?

If it exists:

I want that software. ;)

All the governments would be upseeeeeet if that were true.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back