The End of Pop-Up Advertising?

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
Windows XP SP2's pop-up blocker works exactly like it advertises. I've been testing the browser for the past few days (rather than using Firefox like I normally do), and I haven't had one pop-up ad yet. If enough people bother to install SP2, I happen to wonder if it will kill pop-up advertising? I certainly hope so, but then it makes me wonder what kind of intrusive advertising method they will go to next. :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

Melon

Being a Firefox user since the Phoenix days, I haven't had to deal with popup ads for a long time. I'm glad IE users are now getting this feature as part of the browser itself.

Popup (and pop-under) ads, in my opinion, are one of the most annoying form of internet advertising (spam mail is another big one). I don't mind banner ads, as long as they're not huge and intrusive. In fact, if there's a site I like and visit often (like OSNN and some others), I make it a point to click the banners every now and then to help generate revenue for hosting. A new form of advertising I've seen recently is ad-words, and I don't mind those either.

The sooner popup advertising dies the better it is for everyone.
smile.gif

yeah...i forgot what pop ups r cause i use firefox and i never get pop ups. Wait till the start usin pop-unders more :eek:

Of course, now the other effect is that it will effectively kill all the pop-up ad programs out there, as they will no longer be needed, not to mention that these programs were also a main reason why people were downloading those stupid "toolbars" that the many of the major search engines had been creating.

However, I guess that there are still many people using Windows 2000 and below, and, as far as I know, the pop-up blocker is only bundled in XP SP2. I guess that there is probably still a need out there for the third-party programs for those people.

Melon

yeah i've been used to popup blocking for about 1.5-2 years now with the earlier versions of firefox (the phoenix days) and also myie2 for a while. as for the rest of the world, i think that popup advertising will most definitely take a huge hit, but there will still be a good portion of people still using either older versions of xp, or older versions of windows. i always wondered whether or not popup companies could use a different method to circumvent the blocking methods of programs like firefox and xpsp2's ie by using something other than javascript. even still, i have long awaited the day where the internet is popup and spam free, and i sense it is coming soon enough.

i also agree with NetRyder. Ad banners aren't intrusive and are good to support websites like osnn.net.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back