The DVI connector [ benefits ]

Cosmin

Graphic Designer
Just for me .. really - really matters for an TFT [ refering to Samsung almost .. ] ?

Never used a monitor with a DVI connector.. but I'll be interested to see what people think as my graphics card has a DVI socket and I'm looking into getting a TFT

dvi v/s vga == digital v/s analog..

there are supposed to be some benefits I spose but I have not seen them when setting up my friends new computer...

perhaps when it comes to professional or advanced 3d work it is more apparent... but for day to day usage I have seen no improvements personally...

DVI will help you get rid of cable related problems like shadowing for instance. My dad's TFT has some really dreadful shadowing that would probably go away with DVI (which it doesn't support).

what zedric said + its suposed to have better image quality but you would never be able to tell at a glance you would have to look real close and study the screen, and well...... who does that?!

To me, I think it's one of those things that if you use DVI for long enough, you definately notice TFT or LCD panels using VGA. I have a 19 inch tft lcd with dvi and I can tell when my monitor's on a vga output, and 9 times out of 10 i can tell when other lcd's aren't using DVI. True, it's a small change, but i've grown to notice it. That's my 2 cents.

one thing i don't understand is why all lcd's don't accept dvi input. after all, it's more of a native signal for lcd monitors which are all digital. is it just because equipping the actual dvi port with it's 30+ pins adds like $10 to production costs?
:confused:

Originally posted by taurus
is it just because equipping the actual dvi port with it's 30+ pins adds like $10 to production costs?
:confused:
Probably. The analogue interface has to be there anyway for compatibility, so you can't make a cheap DVI-only screen. And two interfaces cost more than one. Not only because of the extra plug.

Originally posted by Zedric
Probably. The analogue interface has to be there anyway for compatibility, so you can't make a cheap DVI-only screen. And two interfaces cost more than one. Not only because of the extra plug.
yeah, but i don't think i've seen a 15" lcd yet that even has a dvi plug.

which leads me to believe it might be resolution related as well. i'm thinking the higher the resolution, the more an analog signal be susceptible to evil things like shadowing. so larger lcd's with their 1280x1024 resolution and higher can benefit more from the dvi interface.

back to the basic topic, dvi also provides better color accuracy. in addition, you don't have to worry about centering the screen, though a lot of lcd's have an auto-center feature. :)

Uhhh, my Phillips 15 inch LCD on my old p3 has dvi and vga....

There are a lot of models that supports even DVI .. Philips is one of them and CTX has a few new models with DVI

Maybe alot of LCDs and TFTs dont have DVI connectors because only now are the more accessible graphics cards are coming with them on. By accessible i mean both price and availabilty.

what about plugging Vga monitors into DVI with the adapter any difference or is it back to the you are as good as your weakest part...

Originally posted by Tuffgong4
what about plugging Vga monitors into DVI with the adapter any difference or is it back to the you are as good as your weakest part...
when you have a video card with a dvi connector... and it comes with a dvi-to-vga adapter, using that adapter puts the card into vga mode. in other words, the adapter doesn't do any work itself, but rather just cue's the card to outputting a vga signal out of designated pins on it's dvi port. so, exact same quality as a pure vga port.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back