The DVD poll - which will you support?

Which DVD format will you support?

• Blu-Ray (backed by Sony, Dell, Disney)

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • HD-DVD (Panasonic/Philips)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • DVD+/-RW (existing)

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • DVD+/-RW Dual Layer (existing)

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

ming

OSNN Advanced
Yes, you must have heard about it on the news. But which would you support? :)

I like Pioneer's UV discs. 500GB capacity can't be beat.

anything non-proprietary and anything w/o the MPAA's grubby l'il hands all over em...

Sazar said:
anything non-proprietary and anything w/o the MPAA's grubby l'il hands all over em...
which looks to be blu-ray as I know they are backing HD-DVD

Whatever is cheaper. I still have never owned (or even watched one) a DVD player.

Blu-Ray is supposed to have more advantages. I could list them but I'm too lazy to go get the specs from another site to post here. Sorry! :p That being said, I'm for Blu-Ray.

I really hope that a format becomes standardized though. I'm afraid it will really hurt the adoption of the technology if there are competing formats.

Truth be told I think to a point that as already happened since there are currently 2 formats though a burner that supports all formats would be the best idea

Currently 'supporting' dual layer discs, however blu-ray sure does sound fun :D

lynchknot said:
Whatever is cheaper. I still have never owned (or even watched one) a DVD player.

hehe, I just realized my error. I have a DVD+RW/+R in my computer. I just never owned or watched a home, stand alone, DVD player

Blu Ray has more upside potential for capacity. When they drop from $300 to $69 bucks like the 16X Dual Layer drives have in the last 6 months I'll get one...

I couldn't vote Blu-ray as I wanna see Sonys PS3 go belly up. :devious: Also Disney is on it's way down I believe.

Good point about Disney being associated, but I'm hoping they will go belly up and leave the consortium.

I hope none of the catch on any time soon, cause they'll just re-release all the current DVDs for that format. That will probably kill the market (one of the fastest growing mrkets ever) since so many people have invested so much money in them, they will feel cheated and not buy any more

Good point, Khayman, but I read that this probably won't be the case for a LONG time to come. Hi-def DVDs will only be made for the most part for new releases, definitely side-by-side with a normal DVD just as DVD and VHS have been released together in the past. Companies have invested so much in re-releasing older movies in the DVD format that they're not about to go and re-re-release them all in the hi-def format. In the way that HD, digital and analog TV all co-exist today, the same will be true for a long time to come with the storage media.

lynchknot said:
Same here,I'm waiting for the DVD Recorders to drop in price before I buy one :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back