The 2007 Super Bowl Thread (Colts vs. Bears)

I just can't believe that some of the bears could have played that bad on the biggest stage. Grossman was pitiful, but Ron Turner the offensive coordinator couldn't have had a worse game. They stopped running the ball when they should have shoved it down their throats.

Also I haven't seen the bears have worse team tackling in a game all year.

All in all I really feel the bears lost the game more than the colts won it.

Now I get to put my Hester 23 jersey away til next year. :(

Poor Bears, i was rootin for them :)

Sadly, i bet this was Grossman's Best game all season :)

I think the colts simply didnt deserve this, i think the bears did, but nor grossman, those interceptions were in-excusable.

Poor Bears, i was rootin for them :)

Sadly, i bet this was Grossman's Best game all season :)

I think the colts simply didnt deserve this, i think the bears did, but nor grossman, those interceptions were in-excusable.

What the hell are you smoking to say even think that this game was Grossman's best game?!?!

What the hell are you smoking to say even think that this game was Grossman's best game?!?!
lol
I only seen the playoff games :)
Im for the pats remember?
But he was making passes...
Something he never does :eek:

And i said season

The INT's were atrocious! Up until then he'd done just enough to not lose. He had a TD and respectable completion percentage but no yards. This game was just like the colts previous playoff games this year. The losing team stopped running either because of a deficit or because they seemed to be stopping it everytime. And it just doesn't work that way... They have a bad run D. If ANY team would have kept pounding it would have worked. In the end the only thing really good about tonight was that Snickers ad. That thing was priceless!

Anybody feel a similarity to the pats game last week?
Big lead - loss, although the pats had a better score.
But its because the colts had the ball for 20 mins, then got it at the half...
the defense was simply tired, in both games.
And the offense didnt have the ball for a long time...

The INT's were atrocious! Up until then he'd done just enough to not lose. He had a TD and respectable completion percentage but no yards. This game was just like the colts previous playoff games this year. The losing team stopped running either because of a deficit or because they seemed to be stopping it everytime. And it just doesn't work that way... They have a bad run D. If ANY team would have kept pounding it would have worked. In the end the only thing really good about tonight was that Snickers ad. That thing was priceless!

I thought that fan based Doritos commercial went over well...at least at my house. Ron Turner Shoudl be fired after this season, some of those calls were stunningly inept. Could this be a professional offensive coordinator?

Could this be a professional offensive coordinator?

No he's not ... I do believe he came from the U of Illinois... I thought they just had a basketball team actually. He's still way better than Shoop. Plus we could lose Rivera to the Cowboys & I don't want to lose both coordinators in the same season.

Lovie will have a replacement for Rivera, however Turner has been fired from every job he has had. Surely there are better coordinators, out there.

Let's not forget that Turner Spent some time in Washington, before Gibbs came back.

Regardless of what people may think, both teams deserved to be there as they won the games they needed to win to make the playoffs, and won their playoff matchups on the road to the superbowl. Some of our teams lose (even mine) on the way to these teams, which hurts, but you can't knock how they "don't deserve to be there" just because you are bitter your team lost.

In the end, I think it came down to Peyton just wouldn't be denied. Shockingly enough the defenses weren't really a factor, as the Colts D played better, which is the only area the Bears had a clear edge on paper - besides special teams, shown by the opening game kick return. It was exciting, but a sloppy game all around (6 Turnovers in the first half?) - raining very hard, ball was wet/slippery.

All and all, I'm happy Peyton won the game and the MVP, he deserves it. The Bears and Grossman will be back, the kid has potential. This was his first full year as a start, he did enough to win previously, and now he has to build off that.

*SIGH*

I'm happy my team made it during my lifetime. I'm not going to work tomorrow, too many people rubbing my nose in it.
I am a huge Bills fan and that's exactly what I told myself four straight years.

No he's not ... I do believe he came from the U of Illinois... I thought they just had a basketball team actually. He's still way better than Shoop. Plus we could lose Rivera to the Cowboys & I don't want to lose both coordinators in the same season.

I don't know if you really know much about Ron Turner.. he isn't that horrible of a coordinator.. I wouldn't want him as a head coach though.

At Illinois, the team's offense was often very good - it's the teams defense that caused much of their loses. He also lead Illinois to two Big 10 titles during his time there.. the last couple years, his defense just sucked though. His teams set school records for yardage and scoring. In 2002, his Illinois team was ranked 9th in the country in overall yards on offense. Again, it was his defense that sucked.

He was the offensive coordinator of the Bears in the mid 90's. His teams were some of the more prolific bears offensive teams. He was also the offensive coordinator for the last bears team (prior to this season) to win a playoff game. During those years, it was the defense that generally was unable to stop teams from scoring.. their offense was generally better than average (note: not great.. but better than average).

Early this season, he was given a lot of credit for the early success of the Bears offense. Where did all that praise go?

Every play (in particular pass plays) has multiple options. Is it his fault that Grossman makes bad passes? Underthrows berrian leading to an INT? Is it his fault that Grossman can't stand up and slips (twice)?

I'm not saying I'm a huge Ron Turner fan.. he most certainly has somethings to improve on.. but I'd rather have Ron Turner than his brother Norv Turner

Lovie will have a replacement for Rivera, however Turner has been fired from every job he has had. Surely there are better coordinators, out there.

Let's not forget that Turner Spent some time in Washington, before Gibbs came back.

well, it was Norv Turner that spent time in Washington.. not Ron.

He was never really fired from the bears after '96. He left mainly to take the head coaching job at Illinois.

He was fired as the Illinois coach mostly because his defense side of the ball totally sucked.

edit:
Please try to get all the info before making an uninformed posting :)
That's like Vanqusihed saying that the superbowl game was Grossman's best game.

Norv has 3 superbowl rings with the Cowboys...Nuff Said.

Congrats to the Colts. They are a class organization with a classy owner, coach and quarterback. Since my Cowboys couldn't make it, I'm happy to see the Colts win it all.

Looking at the final score, the outcome could have been much worse, and probably should have been. Was it three times that the Colts made it into the red-zone without a TD? Then look at the stats...

1st Downs: 24 Colts -- 11 Bears
Total Yards: 430 Colts -- 265 Bears
Time of Possession: 38:04 Colts -- 21:56 Bears

The Colts really dominated this game. They deserve to be champs.

Yes they are. And as you can tell by his speech during the trophy presentation it was clear why they won ... Jesus was on their side. Gimme a break. What a jackhole.

True I don't know a lot about Ron Turner. I was merely stating that I didn't know the Illini played football. It's always been a basketball school. It is in no way his fault that Rex fell down, that he threw off his back foot like he was still in Arizona, or that it was raining. It is his fault that they had one big run and just never tried it again though. The Colts run D is BAD. True they were up for playoffs, but that doesn't erase the regular season stats.

This is the same Irsay who stole away in the middle of the night from Baltimore? Class...yeah right.

Hey I'm from LA, I have abandonment issues.

It is his fault that they had one big run and just never tried it again though. The Colts run D is BAD. True they were up for playoffs, but that doesn't erase the regular season stats.

not really true.. this is really skewed because of how FEW plays the bears offense really was able to run.

Lets look at each of the bears miserable drives.

- Pass/Run/Pass/Punt - score:7-0 bears
- Run(52yd)/Run/Run/Pass(TD) - score: 14-6 bears
- pass/Run(fumble lost) - score: 14-6 bears
End of 1st Quarter

- Run/Pass/Run/Punt - score: 14-6 bears
- Run/Run/Pass/Punt - score: 14-9 bears
- Pass/Pass/Run/Punt - score: 14-16 colts up
- Grossman Fumble on first play of the drive
End of 1st half

- pass/pass/pass(sacked)/pass(fumble-recovered)/punt
- run/run/pass/run/pass/FG - score: 17-22 (colts up)
End of 3rd quarter

- run (penalty against bears)/run/pass(int for TD) score: 17-29 colts
- run/pass/pass/pass (int)

So.. lets see at this point, bears were down 12 points with 10 minutes to go and went more pass happy to try to make up some points. Up 'till this point, I count 16 running plays and 18 passing plays. If you take a look at just the 1st half numbers, it was 8 pass plays vs. 10 running plays.

It's not like they abandoned the running game.. it's more about the colts (and the bears lack of execution) took the bears out their gameplan. Falling behind to the colts also didn't help matters. I think the loss of Benson to injury also took the bears out of what they wnated to do in their running game more than they might admint. Should they have ran the ball more? Probably.. but when you get into situations of 3rd and long, or 2nd and long.. it generally needs more passing downs.

Last edited:
Are the colts still owned by Irsay?
Oh hey, Isray is the owner and looks to be until he dies, man i could tell you some stories about him and his family. I agree with a lot of what everyone stated, the game was great miss cost the bears deeply, i was surprise in the defenses way of not blitzing more, something the Bears are know for, but all in all that was a hell of a season and I'm looking forward to the next season, and hope a lot of you who didn't play fantasy this year will jump next season. KC, thank god I didn't have to work the fan did get crazy downtown but only very few arrest were made.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back