TFT Monitors

chris

Free to Fly
Just been having a conversation about TFT monitors on IRC, basically, how feaseable are they for desktop use?

I'm thinking of buying one, and my uses are mainly usual desktop use, some graphics work, occasional games and movie watching.

Does anyone use a TFT daily and what difference did you notice from switching from CRT?

Some of the biggest advantages of TFTs are that they occupy much less desk space, and are easier on the eyes (especially if you use your computer for several hours a day).

If you get a good quality TFT screen, you shouldn't notice screen tearing when gaming and watching movies either.

Also remember that TFTs have a "native resolution" which is the resolution at which the image is the sharpest. This means that switching to a resolution lower than the TFT's native resolution will lead to blurred text and images. However, that's not much of a concern since the minimum native res of most TFTs is 1024x768 (and that's the minimum). Barely anyone uses 800x600 these days anyways.

My desktop still has a 17" flatscreen CRT, but I use my laptop all the time, even while I'm at home, and I definitely prefer the laptop's screen although it's 14.1"

i'm using 1280x960 at the moment, and i'd be getting a 17" TFT which has a res of 1280x1024, so that wont be a problem. I like using my laptop, very clear display which my CRT doesnt have

text is so sharp and easy to read. i can get lazy and lean back in my chair with just one hand on the mouse and read everything just fine (~4 feet away).

and no refresh flicker so it's easier on the eyes that way, too.

Originally posted by taurus
text is so sharp and easy to read. i can get lazy and lean back in my chair with just one hand on the mouse and read everything just fine (~4 feet away).

and no refresh flicker so it's easier on the eyes that way, too.

yes... I agree totally...

one other thing that has sold me on tft's...

the heat produced is a fraction that of crt's...

now if only the low response ones were a little easier on the wallet :D

*hugs his TFT

BTW Comet are still doing some Acer 17" ones for £300, I have one it nice

I just sold my 17" TFT on EBay and went back to my CRT. Movies look much better on a CRT and you don't have to be looking directly at the screen. TFTs require you to be right in front of them to have a clear view. Also, I noticed choppiness when playing games like UT2003 on the TFT. Unforgivable given my system specs. Finally, the text is blocky on the TFT when surfing the web etc, even with "text smoothing" turned on in XP. To each his own though. I'll buy a plasma screen when the price comes down below a grand. I got 300 bucks back out of my TFT at least.

;-)

Wr@th

Originally posted by Wrathchild
I just sold my 17" TFT on EBay and went back to my CRT. Movies look much better on a CRT and you don't have to be looking directly at the screen. TFTs require you to be right in front of them to have a clear view. Also, I noticed choppiness when playing games like UT2003 on the TFT. Unforgivable given my system specs. Finally, the text is blocky on the TFT when surfing the web etc, even with "text smoothing" turned on in XP.

all i can say is it must have been a cheap lcd. a majority of them out don't have these characteristics.

mine is fine I can be anywhere in my room and I can see and read it fine. Films are fine, games are fantastic

I saw an ad for a tft... 15 inch... 12ms up/4 ms down... :D

thats BLOODY fast for a flat panel and I am just praying for the day those response times will be present in an affordable 18/19incher :D

my bro has the top of the line dell model and it does not have any ghosting that I can see (put it through extensive workouts using RTCW)... his is 18.1 inches... for $400 :(

the perks of employee discounts... dammit... I want him to get me one... but no money :(

Originally posted by Sazar
my bro has the top of the line dell model and it does not have any ghosting that I can see (put it through extensive workouts using RTCW)... his is 18.1 inches... for $400 :(
sounds like mine, the Dell 1800FP (also in sig).

in which case, i do notice a little bit of ghosting, but it is certainly acceptable. most would agree. i managed to get mine a while back for $380 with a few really good coupon codes.
:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back