Text file needs defined fixed width

zapoqx

Striking Master
I'm making a text file that is supposed to be a guide. The problem is that I need it to have a fixed width and I don't mean "make use of Wordwrap in your text editor." As an Example:

I want to take this text and make it easily readable. This will be a long paragraph and I need it to be easily formatted. How do I do this? I do not know. This is just a provided example.

And turn it into something like this:

I want to take this text and make it easily readable. This will
be a long paragraph and I need it to be easily formatted.
How do I do this? I do not know. This is just a provided
example.

So is there an easier way to do this besides going back through all my current text and pushing Enter at an appropriate looking line?

I don't think the text file is that sophisticated, I think you need to put it into a word processing program

Yeah, you can't do that with a text file editor. You have to use a rich text editor like word pad or office, or some other sort of office program ..

Well I need it as text file which is why I couldn't go with the office unless it has a method to do what I need it.

I guess an example to show that is on one of the FAQs over here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/960512-halo-reach/faqs

As it stands, my document will not have word wrap when posted online.

P.S. No, Just used whatever was on the top 10 games link for the purpose of this sample.

how so?
Clicking the first FAQ, on the top has a view/download original and goes to:
halo_reach_a.txt
I figured it is text. Not HTML.

I did discover a way to do it and although it was a painful method, it involved using CutePDF writer and GetDiz. Using Get Diz, I set the print preview to have margins and to keep word wrap on that so I make the margins closer together to where I want it. Then I use CutePDF printer to print the document with the margins. Finally I copied and pasted the texts that had the margin fix in. Only problem was it couldn't detect line spaces so I had to make sure that was entered correctly.

Why not build it in word with the margins set as you want it and save it as a plain text document with the "insert Line Breaks" option checked?

Why not build it in word with the margins set as you want it and save it as a plain text document with the "insert Line Breaks" option checked?
nice

I was going to suggest composing in word but didn't think the breaks would paste, from your post I see there is an option for that

kewl

wow. That would have made it easier. I didn't think about trying that feature and seeing if it works. I'll attempt to make a mental note of that and use that instead should I ever try and do that again... thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back