text editors. what is your favorite? what do you use?

vern

Dominus
Political Access
I have been using Ultraedit for over two years now. I have been pleased with it's features and have gotten accustomed to using it and only it. But I think it's about time I look into some other type of text editor. The way Ultraedit handles temp files is very very annoying. After a week of editing text , php, html, scripts, css files, I end up with tons of .bak files. You can use the option of not using temp files, but then any changes you make are saved instantly even if you do not save it. So my question is ... what text editor does everyone like for windows? Syntax highlighting and the ability to open up very big files is important to me. I don't mind paying for it if I'm going to be using it for a couple years so shareware/commercial text editors are welcome. And please ... don't say notepad.

I have tried Arachnophilia, CuteHtml, Notepad Pro, and countless- countless others.

No matter what I try I always default back to Windows notepad. It is simple, reliable, quick loading, and readily available. I will ocasionally use Visual Studio.Net when I am editing XML or need to see the structure of my files, but I use Notepad 95% of the time.

I've been using Ultraedit as well for about 3 years for ASP (vbscript), HTML, and CSS. It's a great editor with syntax highlighting for just about any language. You can customize background colors, font and font colors and more for each file extension.

To vern,
There is an option to turn off .bak files. This does not cause changes to be saved instantly as you describe it. Check your config again.

"Use temporary file for editing " should be on.
Under the "Backup" tab - "No backup" should be selected under Backup files on save.

I'm using version 10.10a, but these options have been available since version 8 or so.

You could try Crimson Editor

This program is not only fast in loading time, but also small in size (so small that it can be copied in one floppy disk).
While it can serve as a good replacement for Notepad, it also offers many powerful features for programming languages such as HTML, C/C++, Perl and Java.

Syntax Highlighting for HTML, C/C++, Perl, Java, Matlab and LaTeX. Also, it can be extended for other programming languages based on custom syntax files.

Or perhaps ConTEXT

ConTEXT is small, fast and powerful text editor for software developers. Unlimited open files, unlimited editing file size length, 4kB line length, powerful syntax highlighting for C/C++, Delphi/Pascal, 80x86 assembler, Java, Java Script, Visual Basic, Perl/CGI, HTML, SQL, Python, PHP, Tcl/Tk, user defineable syntax highlighter, project workspaces, compiler integration, multilanguage support and many many more features.

btw, they are both freeware

Originally posted by Hazard0usIntent
To vern,
There is an option to turn off .bak files. This does not cause changes to be saved instantly as you describe it. Check your config again.

"Use temporary file for editing " should be on.
Under the "Backup" tab - "No backup" should be selected under Backup files on save.

I'm using version 10.10a, but these options have been available since version 8 or so.

Holy crap! It works! I don't know why options like this have to be set instead of being default. I thought this was just some annoyance after upgrading from an earlier version. But now that I've started the topic, I'm going to be trying out some other text editors. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Notepad.

NE1 remember that notepad skinner and enhancer written for win95 I used in 98se and the author to register would ask for a postcard if you didn't mind sending them. He said they were for his little sis.

NE Idz?

Edit Pad Lite for doing php, SafeSex (made by Nullsoft!) for quick notes and notepad for everything else :)

Hey racer duke thanks for the link for metapad LE it's groovy, :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back