Ten Worst Internet Acquisitions Ever (lets add some more)

Good list but I am sure there are so many more. Any ideas?
Ten Worst Internet Acquisitions Ever

Posted on Nov 21st, 2006

James Nicholson submits: As the market for acquiring fledgling Internet companies heats up, it's worth taking a look at all those acquisitions that didn't quite work out. For every Internet acquisition that's successful there seems to be dozens that die on the vine.
So what makes for a really bad Internet acquisition? First, it has to be expensive. No one's going to rake a company over the coals over a few blown $50 million acquisitions. That might sound like a lot of money to you and me, but that's a rounding error to Google.
Second, for an acquisition to be lousy it has to contribute little or no long term growth to the acquiring company. An acquisition that doesn't fit with a company's long term strategy and that is quickly forgotten - that's a bad buy.
So, here is my highly subjective list of the 10 worst Internet acquisitions of all time:
10. Hotmail - acquired by Microsoft (MSFT) in 1998 for about $400 million. Hotmail was a second-tier free email service when Microsoft bought it and the acquisition did little to improve Microsoft's internet portal ambitions.
9. Skype - acquired by eBay (EBAY) in September 2005 for $2.6 billion. While it's early to call this one an absolute dud, eBay does not seem to have a plan - or at least a plan that would justify the acquisition price - for how to integrate Skype's calling service with the core auction business.
mysimonlogo.gif
8. MySimon - acquired by CNET (CNET) in 1999 for $700 million. The price comparison site mySimon was supposed to launch CNET into lots of non-tech verticals - not a bad idea at the time. Unfortunately CNET had no idea how to effectively integrate mySimon and it's now withering away, surpassed by newer, shinier price comparison engines.
7. BlueMountain.com - acquired by Excite@Home in 1999. $780 million for an online greeting card site. 'Nuff said.
6. Lycos - acquired by Terra Networks for $4.6 billion in 2000. Yeah, I never heard of Terra either. The warning bells should have gone off when the deal was originally announced in May 2000 at a value of $12.5 billion, only to fall by more than 50% by the time it closed in October of that year because each company's stock price was plummeting.
5. Netscape - acquired by AOL (TWX) in 1998 for $4.2 billion. To be fair, this was a mercy acquisition. By the time AOL bought the company, Netscape had been humbled by Microsoft's free Internet Explorer browser. AOL clearly had no plans for Netscape and as a result the once pioneering company is now an afterthought.
4. GeoCities - acquired by Yahoo! (YHOO) in 1999 for $3.56 billion. When was the last time you visited a site with a geocities.com domain? I can't remember either. Shortly after the acquisition, innovation on GeoCities appears to have ground to a halt. GeoCities could have been MySpace, but the entire social networking revolution passed them right by.

3. Excite
- acquired by @Home in 1999 for $6.7 billion. Remember Excite.com? Remember how it was the #2 or 3 portal for awhile? Well, a whole year and a half after the cable company @Home acquired Excite (for $394 per user!) in January 1999, the combined entity filed for bankruptcy never to be heard from again. Classically disastrous.
2. AOL - merged with TimeWarner in 2000. This one is obvious. While Time Warner finally seems to be turning things around at AOL six years after the fact, this merger was doomed from the start. Shortly after the merger AOL's business started falling apart fast, with TimeWarner holding the bag. There was never a coherent integration plan and all that talk of synergy is - thankfully - dead and gone.
1. Broadcast.com - acquired by Yahoo! in 1999 for $5 billion. Yahoo! paid a mind-boggling $710 per user back in the hey day of the bubble. But why does this rank higher than the AOL boondoggle? Two words: Mark Cuban. Yahoo's ludicrous overpayment for Broadcast.com gave Cuban the money to go out and buy the Dallas Mavericks basketball team and permanently implant himself on the American psyche. Unforgivable.
So did I miss any duds?
Next up: the 10 best Internet acquisitions. That'll be a littler harder.
http://internet.seekingalpha.com/article/21041

That brings back some memories. I used to have a few shares of AOL stock right before the merger...everyone was getting ready for a big surge in price. I was in junior high, getting all excited at the prospect of making a few hundred dollars.

Basically I lost most of my money :p

Considering the rest of the items on the list, Hotmail was a steal for $400 million.

Hotmail is really, really popular everywhere except the US. Not sure how much money they make from it though.

AOL and Yahoo seem to have the worst track records.

could someone suggest to me how browsers make money by being free?

what's in it for firefox and opera to go free?

I know internet explorer helps the operating system sell, but what does a browser get out of being free?

Doesn't Opera have ads? That's how they would make money. Firefox makes money everytime you use Google from the built in search engine.

Im sure that companies pay them for stuff.
Like toolbars and random some stuff

Doesn't Opera have ads? That's how they would make money. Firefox makes money everytime you use Google from the built in search engine.
opera no longer has adds, ya vanquished, I guess both firefox and internet explorer make money everytime you use the search engine

also I think j79 pointed out a while ago that ie makes money from servers and corporate licensing.

not sure about that though

Last edited:
Firefox also gets a lot of their money from corporate donations and such ..

I dont think Hotmail should be on 'that' list to be honest. Obviously a lot of people have a thing against microsoft, but I think it was a good acquisition for them.

Has anyone thought about PayPal? :p

eBay ruined PayPal. Fees have gone up considerably since eBay bought it.

Well i guess that is true,
but i dont see how paypal was a bad acquisition for ebay...

I think PayPal is a good acquisition. I use it all the time and never had a problem with it. Plus, with a lot of the online shopping sites, like new egg, moving to PayPal support; it is a good thing ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back