Temperature question??

well my asus board has the old fasioned thermal sensor mounted in the cpu socket to read the ambient tempreture of the air under the CPU itself. it's a crap reading as theres a gap between the 2.

in the past year (ish) cpu makers are including a sensor build into the CPU Die (the core bit on top of the substrate holding all the pins) and motherboard makers are including a reading for this in the BIOS. but even though there are 2 ways of reading the temps, the BIOS will default to the guarenteed probe thats included on the board. once in windows, 3rd party sorfware such as MBM5 will pick up on both sensors and give 2 readings. by rights the more accurate of the 2 is the Die temp, built in the chip, as its reading from inside, with no air to alter the readings.

the internel sensor, (Die) is about 50 times faster at picking up a change in tempreture, mine jumps up 5 degrees in about a second, the socket probe takes a good minute or 2 to build up to the new temp as the ambient air is insulating the reading.

thats why i thought when you said 70 degrees, that you were reading the die temp, and the BIOS reading was of the socket temps. (it made sence to me as i've seen it all before :))

hope my crappy english makes sence ;) happy new year :beer:

Those temps will work to try some over clocking when you get the urge. Thats pretty much what my system runs and I can get it up to XP2200 with no problems.

Key to watch is the CPU temperature. Increase the clock a step at a time and let the CPU temp stabilize. Then game for a while to see how stable (crash and quirk free) the system is.

Ok.
BTW, i've been hearing about AMD CPUs are locked for overclocking.

What do you mean by that?
I can change the fsb. My current fsb is at 133.
When i change it to 140-144. Windows wont boot.
And when at 145, the system wont boot.

when we say a cpu is locked, we're just talking about the multiplier. nothing stops you from changing the fsb (besides other hardware).

you're probably having trouble increasing your fsb because of your memory, a pci device, your agp card, or maybe just the limit of your northbridge.

Heres a pic of my case.
I removed the plastic cover covering the front fans.

The locked multiplier really kills overclcoking. AMD originally had the TBRED cores unlocked but snuck a lock in probably when they started making the XP1800-2200 with Tbred cores. An 1800 would most likely have overclcoked to 2600 without the lock.

To use FSB overclocking you need a MB that allows oyu to set PCI/Mem/QAGP adn FSB independently. I have no idea if anyone makes one like that for AMD processors.

So set the FSB for 139, it's 5% for free. And wait and see if anyone figuires out how to beat the AMD multiplier lock.

you could always bin the fans (too noisy) and leave the sides off

:cool:

Yeah, but then you get tons of dust and stuff flying about in your system. Not good.

Another question.
Is this considered a fully loaded machine?(like it's not idle)
Running Avant browser, Getright, MBM5, Coolmon, Pc-Cillin Realtime monitor, Say the time, WMP9, HP printer assistant.

Originally posted by slayer[X]
Another question.
Is this considered a fully loaded machine?(like it's not idle)
Running Avant browser, Getright, MBM5, Coolmon, Pc-Cillin Realtime monitor, Say the time, WMP9, HP printer assistant.

no fully loaded means cpu at 100% for extended periods of time like 3-4 hours to really stress and test :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back