Temperature monitor

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political Access
I'm looking for a nice simple cpu temperature monitor (not MBM) that sits in the tray of background and pops up if it reaches a set level

anyone know of one?

i would have said mbm :( i take it you've not had sucsess?

Its just too big and annoying and takes too much setup and....it smells :)

Maveric169 said:
Dude, you got a Dell

Yep, almost exactly a year ago.
wink.gif

If you have an Athlon processor, I would recommend a small free app called VCool. It will both cool your cpu and allow you to monitor both your cpu temp, system temp and fan speeds. I use it on all computers with Athlon processors and it is a real gem.

what mobo do you have khayman? ie manufacturer...

the big boys like asus/msi and the like usually have a little software thinger that gives you temps monitored and its easy to configure for warnings and the like @ temp thresholds...

Does anyone know how to make SpeedFan keep it's settings on reboot. I've added it to my startup folder, but it still resets to 100% fan speed on reboot.

dreamliner77 said:
Does anyone know how to make SpeedFan keep it's settings on reboot. I've added it to my startup folder, but it still resets to 100% fan speed on reboot.

it did the same for me...the help file has a really good explanation on setting it up.

the main things you need to configure are:

put a check in "Automatic Fan speed"

then, in the Configure button...

click the plus signs next to the temperatures and uncheck all of the boxes, then recheck the fans that are associated with each temperature. if one of the temperatures has no fans associated with it, or you want to manually control it...uncheck all the boxes.

in the fan tab, uncheck any fan ports that aren't in use.

same for the speed tab.

you can rename all of the temperatures and fans to make them easier to work with...the hard part is figuring out which one is which :)

for that, i go in the BIOS and see what it says, then i go back to windows and see which temps/fan speeds are the closest.

Ok I really liked speed fan on surface, but it royally f'ed with my system. Overwrote a system file, had to restore from recovery console, has not been a fun evening :(

dreamliner77 said:
Ok I really liked speed fan on surface, but it royally f'ed with my system. Overwrote a system file, had to restore from recovery console, has not been a fun evening :(
overwrote a system file?

how on earth did it (you?) manage that? which file?

something in windows/system32/config

but I can't find the piece of paper I had it written down on right now.

Time For and install tomorrow, this one is dead.

I shouldn't outright blame the SpeedFan. After digging around a playing a bit, I found that something is messed. As I lowered fan speed, the temps actually went down. I think the sensors are messed or something. I think what happened is that I actually overheated and locked up because of that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back