Temp IE Files

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
I have it checked to empty temp IE files when I close my IE window yet I have to manually clear them out. I have 3 users on my PC and it's like this for all 3 of us. What am I missing? Why do I have to manually delete these?

J

is it killing any of the temp files? I know there is a "feature" where if you use disk cleanup to remove temp internet files it only clears out those older then a week. does it clear them all out if you click to clear them from inside the IE window where yo can choose to delete files and cookies?

Ummm, I don't think so. What I do is go to C:\documents and settings\USER\local settings\temporary internet files, and delete from there.

you don't think so to which? does it not clear any files at all when you choose to delete them using the buttons in IE, or does it not delete any files at all no matter what?

just look at the size of the directory before and after which is an easy way to tell. also cookies are kept in that directory and they aren't removed unless you use the delete cookies button.

Just to make sure, log with one of your users, go in Internet Options, in the General tab click Settings, and look what's the folder the temp files are stored in. Make sure it's the right one and not a common one... You might be looking in the wrong folder... Just a guess.

The folder you quoted IS the one though.. so it might be something else..

The files are cleared out either by tools/options/delete files or by going into documnets and setting/user/temp IE files. What I don't understand is, if I have it set up to empty when my browser is closed, why are there temporary files in there? Shouldn't they be deleted when I close my browser, or am I totally off base?

J

Not off base at all

I have the same problem - internet temp files do not get deleted when exiting the browser. I have tried everything and nothing seems to keep working. I think it has to with if you have disk cleanup scheduled as a task. Since if I uncheck and then recheck the delete temp files...under internet options it does work until the next time the scheduled disk cleanup task runs then right back to not deleteing them.

Uh, where do you think you chose an option to have your temporary internet files be deleted upon closure? If you're going to do this, you might as well just set the disk space for temp files to 0 MB, because you're removing most of the cacheing benefits you get from the temp inet files anyway. Or at least set it small, like 10 MB. You really shouldn't be in a position where you need to worry about disk space...
/Lactic

Originally posted by Lactic.Acid
Uh, where do you think you chose an option to have your temporary internet files be deleted upon closure? /Lactic

Tools\Internet Options\Advanced...scroll down and you can check or uncheck Empty temporary internet files folder when brower is closed.

lactic does have a good point...if your gonna delete all the files on exit, it destroys the whole point of them!

Originally posted by Lactic.Acid
Uh, where do you think you chose an option to have your temporary internet files be deleted upon closure? If you're going to do this, you might as well just set the disk space for temp files to 0 MB, because you're removing most of the cacheing benefits you get from the temp inet files anyway. Or at least set it small, like 10 MB. You really shouldn't be in a position where you need to worry about disk space...
/Lactic

Unless the guy always clears his temp files manually, setting the max amount of disk space to use below something around 30-50 might case problems after a while. IE has this little problem.. when the cache is full, some pages won't show anymore (you'll get page cannot be displayed) or you'll get very slow browsing. So I'd say, just set your temp files to 50, and delete them once a week manually, that's more than enough. No need to clear that all the time.

And btw, you can't set the temp files to 0, must be at least 1, IE won't let you hehe =P (I know you were being sarcastic.. just joking)

It was Norton firewall, friggin Norton
furious.gif

I have to disable my my firewall to view specific pages.

Hello,

I'm having the same problem with the temporary files although I've checked the option to delete the temp internet files upon closure.

It's not working since I've installed Norton Antivirus 2002.

Is this kind of a new Norton problem ?

EDIT : Problem solved. Changed the location of the temporary files from .../Local Settings to C:\Windows. And it worked :)

After deleting all off line content the only items left are cookies
& these are removed on reboot.
;)
:confused: [edit] AAARRGGHHHH no they dont sorry Jewelz[edit/]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back