Tell me if I am mad - server in a shed

Am I mad?

• Nope - very doable - I have servers in my shed!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Well - I suspect this is a crazy idea - but anyway I have just moved and although I have a server (thanks Lord) there is no where to put it. At the moment it is in my office, and I have negotiated plugging it in there - but to SSH in and so forth is less than ideal with my current ISP and they often run torrents at the office at weekends when I want access....

So this morning I was sat on the patio and notice there are external power points in place already - and a small shed. Has anyone else ever placed a server in a semi-outdoor environment with success? Are there environment protection systems or rugged cases or better yet cages for cases since it's already in a nice sonata...

Or - am I mad?

Opinions please...

Never heard of it. But if you think it will work and set up a remote access to it so you don't have to go out in cold weather, then by all means try it .. :)

Depend on the heat, humidity and dust levels. If you are in southern England it's probably a bad idea.

Enhanced lightning protection is a must. The wiring to the shed will be more susceptible to ligtning than the wiring to the house.

You would have to build in a small server room with a window aircondiitoner in part of the shed. Insulate it heavily on all 6 sides. Check/clean the Airconditioner filter weekly. Heat in the winter would also be necessary to prevent condensation.

Do-able, but figure $300-500 USD for materials.

PS Yes you are mad but that is a separate issue... ;)

You may have to worry about small bugs or rodents climbing around/into power supply and/or CPU which could short out the system.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back