telephone dial-up hackers

dubstar

format c:
is it possible to be online using Dial-up, receive a phonecall that sounds like a modem, and have it connect to your computer and hack you?

i just got 3 calls like that sounded like modem sounds, and 1 call before i let it go through, and my 56k modem started to connect as if i started it or something, then failed to initiate a connection.

i didnt realize my 56k modem was plugged in, since i've been using DSL for the last year and a half.

i didnt realize my 56k modem was plugged in, since i've been using DSL for the last year and a half.

LOL That's too funny, sorry...

Yes it is VERY possible. This is how the OLD bbs's worked, and the principle has not changed. If you have a software firewall this shouldn't be an issue, but you can enable the widows firewall on your dial-up connection to help protect it.

but it tried to open my connection, i dont have a fax machine, or have fax software set up, so if it was a fax, i wouldnt have gotten it.

Originally posted by Enyo
No its no possible! This branch of Phreaking is way past it.

You can't send a signal down the line to your modem and have it open the gates of your computer!

Under certain circumstances it may be able to force the modem to dial out remotely or for someone to be able to dial in to your modem but then no service is available your end to allow a remote user to connect.

Not so ENYO. I can use PCANYWHERE, dial the phone number that my pc in california is connected to and can make a connection. Now this is because I have remote access enabled on that machine. But again this is because I have remote access enabled and PCAnywhere installed. So it is VERY possible to do this. But if he dosn't have remote access enabled and configured, or any programs for remote access then you are correct they probley couldn't even make a connection, it would ring the modem, but there wouldn't be software or services to make a connection to so it would drop the connection.

when will Fax Machine makers get smart and enable some sort of DSL feature.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back