Teenager charged with IM harassment

BigPete

OSNN Sexual Deviant
Um, read the article. Is it me or are the women prosecuting just a bunch of dumb bitches who couldnt find the ignore button? I mean, come on, yes, he should be thrown in jail for a few weeks or whatever for being a pervert, but how hard is it to hit the ignore button on your IM program or reject email from the stupid kid?

My 2 cents,
Pete

Nobody has the right to harass another person. If they felt violated then they had a right to do what they did. These little idiots on the web need to learn that people have rights. He got what he deserved and I support the decision 100%.

Ignore button or not, harassment shouldn't have to be ignored...thats like saying if your boss is harassing you at work you should just ignore them

Games like meridian offered a swear filter to filter out cursewords in broadcasts...yet it was still a violation of the ToS if you cursed...just cause there is a way to stop it doesn't mean it's ok to do it.

Originally posted by madmatt
Nobody has the right to harass another person. If they felt violated then they had a right to do what they did. These little idiots on the web need to learn that people have rights. He got what he deserved and I support the decision 100%.

Hypotheticly,

If I were 'little idiot', I would have just been publicly offended and 'harassed' in a forum on the internet. I would have felt 'violated'.

Actual physical contact not withstanding, the term 'violated' has no definable meaning leagally. I do not think I can be held responsible for 'hurting your little feelings'.

Just a thought...

Right ON!!! I've got to be honest... I've seen some pretty vulgar stuff come across this screen from folks who think they're invisible. I hope this gets enough exposure to be an example/deterent to people like that.

You have a point too, BigPete. But this guy clearly went beyond being able to ignore him... emails are hard to ignore. I get irked at all the spam I get... If it were personally threatening attacks I might take legal measures myself.

Originally posted by catch23
It's crap...it's just a sexist attitude...let's put it this way.

hi <-- any chick here could take that as harassment and sue me for it...AND WIN.
Bull.

It isnt really what you say, it is how someone 'feels' about what you have said....

Again, the 'little feelings' being hurt.

I'm not sure how old you guys are... i'm guessing not very. Point is, harrassment IS criminal misbehavior, sexual or otherwise. To somehow justify or condone that behavior is also wrong. Is there grey area? Of course there is... this particular case is very clearly defined... dude deserves what he's getting.

You know, I don't think anyone here is defending the little Pr1*k for what he did. But reading some of your replies. I don't think you know what it is to be harrassed, verbaly, sexually, and or violently. Let me ask this:
If someone on the street started to talk to you in an insulting way or suggesting violence to you, you'ld probably tell that person to f\/*k off. But what if that same peson started to follow you and continued to speak these things to you. Over and over and over, saying violent, sexually disturbing and degrading things. You'ld get to the piont where you would either beat the crap out of him or call the Police. That little perv probably thought he was not going to get punished. What the court is doing to him is a far cry from what ANYONE would get if it was over the phone or face to face or even by letter. IM is no different than any other form of communication between one person and another. He's lucky that's all they're doing to him. Or maybe he'll blame it on computer games. :)

I don't know if anyone asked this quetion yet but How the hell did he get caught?

Originally posted by gonaads
Stupidity :p
I think that was the reason he did it in the first place. You can't do things like this and think you are not going to get caught. He deserves his punishment. The little perv.

BTW: Jewelzz, why are you not returning my e-mails and blocking me from Messenger?!? ;)

I'd like to give that kid a dose of his own medicine!! see how he likes that!! :D

Nice to see that everyone besides the person who started this thread knows what harassment is and that little *********** ************* ***** should be punished for his actions.

Maybe I will chime in here for a few minutes...
There is a huge difference between harassment in the work place and harassment online.
If ppl become offended by material ppl post or say to them personnaly them you need to get offline and learn to live in a bubble where you are no longer exposed to things in life. Being on the internet by default means you are in a lawless, patients running the asylum, type of enviornment. Being online mean you have access like never before but you can run into some sad and pathetic ppl who have the mental attitue of a 4 years on crack. I do not know what was said by this teenager that would offend these women and I do not condone it but ppl have to realize that this is not a rated G enviornment. Above all else realize if this teenager even though he may need a swift kick to the head, he still has freedom of speech and now that he can be punished for it understand anything and I mean anything anyone says online can be used against you. Even to the point that you may not have even said it. Or that someone who is offened may have interpreted wrong. Just some things to think about when you respond to anyone...

Originally posted by [P§eüðøKe®]
Or that someone who is offened may have interpreted wrong.
This is true in the real world too PK not just online. It's in the constitution that we have the freedom to say anything without punishment, but to say it over and over again is harassment. Whether it's sexual, verbal or physical no one has the right to harass me, you...anyone!

Originally posted by Jewelzz

This is true in the real world too PK not just online. It's in the constitution that we have the freedom to say anything without punishment, but to say it over and over again is harassment. Whether it's sexual, verbal or physical no one has the right to harass me, you...anyone!

f**King hey! 2rite Jewelzz

Originally posted by Jewelzz

Online like I said is a very different thing ...in the workplace you should never be harassed in any way shape or form... but ppl need to understand ppl will make mistakes and if this is the case then move on.. but if it is a continuous thing then appropriate actions should be taken. But understand that there are many different cultures and customs and languages. A fag in England means a cigarette, but should take offense at that. I mean if I didnt know what that meant and I thought he was calling me a fag, then who is at fault.
There is many responsible web masters and blocking features in chat programs, use them or have the offending person blocked.
If you watch TV and see or hear something very offensive you can turn the channel or turn it off. I feel this an option always availible to anyone online also. To take legal action I feel is unwarrented. But to sentence him to even weeks in jail is outrageous. I mean I could sell drugs and be out by the next day. But if I use words I can see serious jail time... It just dosent seem right

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back