Teenager charged with IM harassment

Originally posted by [P§eüðøKe®]

Online like I said is a very different thing ...in the workplace you should never be harassed in any way shape or form

So online if I'm harassed, I should just sit back and let that person/people harass me because it's not face to face?!?!

Originally posted by Jewelzz

So online if I'm harassed, I should just sit back and let that person/people harass me because it's not face to face?!?!

I did suggest you block them or report them to a web master.

All you guys who are knocking me for not knowing what harassment is should chill out. I clearly stated, that he SHOULD be punished for harassment.

I am only wondering what kind of standards something like this will set. They could easily have ignored him and never ever heard from him again. Also, over a medium such as the internet where you cant hear someones voice or see their expressions, its kind of difficult to understand what someone is trying to say or what they mean exactly. I can say one thing in these forums and say the same exact thing in another and people will have different reactions.

For example, my Counter-Strike game name and the name that I use to post on those forums is Animal-Rapist. I can see that *may" be offensive to others, therefore, I use different names where appropriate, such as here. Whats offensive and harassment to one person, may not be to another, is all I am saying.

Sheesh,
Pete

you'd make a good defense lawer for this kid.. looks like your taking the role anyway!!! P§eüðøKe®

You obviously have no idea just how harmful and downright upsetting harrassment can be. Any type of harassment should be taken seriously.. its not as simple as saying you should block people, if your being harassed the person harassing you has found a way to do it 24/7.. which is strangly enough why they call it harassment.

Originally posted by BigPete
Um, read the article. Is it me or are the women prosecuting just a bunch of dumb bitches who couldnt find the ignore button? I mean, come on, yes, he should be thrown in jail for a few weeks or whatever for being a pervert, but how hard is it to hit the ignore button on your IM program or reject email from the stupid kid?

My 2 cents,
Pete

BigPete: you obviously do not know what harassment is. Refering women as bitches is completely inapporpriate and uncalled for. Maturity and being sensitive is needed not name calling.

Originally posted by stuy_b
you'd make a good defense lawer for this kid.. looks like your taking the role anyway!!! P§eüðøKe®

You obviously have no idea just how harmful and downright upsetting harrassment can be. Any type of harassment should be taken seriously.. its not as simple as saying you should block people, if your being harassed the person harassing you has found a way to do it 24/7.. which is strangly enough why they call it harassment.

Shows how little you know about me. Try not to make assumptions about me and my experiences. I expressed an opinion if you disagree thats fine but do not assume anything.

And no one stated anything about harrassment that is taking place 24/7.

I have one question and that is did these ppl who were offend/harrassed ever try to block the offender?? If so what did they do??

Originally posted by [P§eüðøKe®]

I did suggest you block them or report them to a web master.
Wooo Hooo, report him/her to the webmaster, what does that get me? NOTHING!

"And no one stated anything about harrassment that is taking place 24/7" -- I refer to this whole article.. the kid was harrassing these women all the time (24/7).
btw read the full article not just the summary from the frontpage!

I meant nothing personal P§eüðøKe® :)

Originally posted by Jewelzz

Wooo Hooo, report him/her to the webmaster, what does that get me? NOTHING!

Well this seems to be enough for me. If you do not like my opinions thats ok.. I can deal with it. But with all the anger around this topic is not productive. I did not mean to frustrate anyone just to express an opinion in a mature way. Most Of the responses to my posts have been with anger and yelling.

This will be my last post on this topic.

It's more of a debate PK. I'm not mad or angery, I'm stating my opinion as you've stated yours. You want me and some others to see your side, that we can block anyone harassing us. And you do have a point but I still feel that harassment is harassment in any medium and no one should be subject to harassment...in person, online, through email, on the phone. It's unacceptable.

You guys quit harassing me with this thread. :p. I'll report you all!!!:D

Originally posted by xsivforce
You guys quit harassing me with this thread. :p. I'll report you all!!!:D
Do I have to stop harassing you on MSN too? ;)

this thread is too heated for me to get involved in.

too many flames being thrown around here.

You might want to read this slowly

All of these comments are very good examples of just how dodgy the subject of harrasment is. It is all based on perceptions.

If you look through the word assoc, then you can see that everybodies mind works in different ways. This is why the Word Assoc is fun, just seeing how others minds work.

Everybody has opinions of their own. We also live in a civilised society, and for that reason there are some things that are simply accepted by (almost) all people. A few of those are that, you should mind what you say, and accept that others have opinions of their own, you can argue about this but it is unlikely to change. Better is to have a social debate, this is a style of language which removes hosility from the situation and has greater power to alter or inform opinions than arguement.

This kid may have not percieved that he was offending the people he has harrassed, this is possible, I know plenty of people that often dont really know how hurtful words can be.

Sticks and Stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me is one of te most useless mantas in the world, sticks and stones may leave physical wounds, but tehy heal (often) a lot faster than either emotional or mental wounds.

If the mind is sufficiently damaged then the body gives up, if it is sufficently wounded then it might attempt to end it but this requires the destruction of the body as well. The two cannot exist independently, if one is damaged to a large enough degree the it will dominate and end the other.

I do hope that this will not be flamed, and that reading this slurge from my mind doesnt confuse people too much.

Look, if this punk kid was trying to harass and cause problems for these ladies, then he should be punished 100% to the fullest extent of the law. Like gtgarside said, it depends on what you consider "harassment" to be, some of us are more tolerable. And considering the medium used to commit the crime, I find it hard to believe that you can harass someone that much to the point of filing charges.

I have great faith in the U.S. Judicial System, so I guess we will find out what happens with all of this. It could very well set a precedence, then you will have everyone and their mom trying to sue or press charges.

Originally posted by BigPete
I have great faith in the U.S. Judicial System, so I guess we will find out what happens with all of this. It could very well set a precedence, then you will have everyone and their mom trying to sue or press charges.

I am just scared of what that precedence could be, it could end up being like the Salem Witch trials, say their a witch and they try to drown the person if they float kill them, if they drown, oops.

All one would need to do is point a finger at someone say they harrassed you and then they are out of your way for while, or they will get a restraining order.

edit: I have little or no faith in the US Judicial System, reason M$ split idea, dumb, will hurt consumers more than it will M$

So [P§eüðøKe®],
If someone on the street started to talk to you in an insulting way or suggesting violence to you, you'ld probably tell that person to f\/*k off. But what if that same peson started to follow you and continued to speak these things to you. Over and over and over, saying violent, sexually disturbing and degrading things. You'ld get to the piont where you would either beat the crap out of him or call the Police. So on line it's diffent. How? They are communicating with you the same way except through a different medium. Report him to the Webmaster? He goes on under another alias. Prank calls on a phone? you block the number. So they call from adifferent phone. Plus it is catagorized as verbal abuse. You do that to a Child-Go to Jail. Do do it to anyone-Go to Jail. Mental Abuse, sound familiar?
And Catch23,
quote:Originally posted by Lonman
Bull.

quote:Originally posted by Catch23:
I can claim that as harassment...It's that easy...if I wasn't male anyway.

I say Bull to you. And you can't claim Harassment. Why? becuase it is an opinion. I am stating my comment as such. Now if I were to hypotheticaly say, "You are Bull... Then you being Male or Female could if you wish, say that I harassed you. Gender does not mean squat. Verbal Abuse in any medium is still Abuse. To be Harassed is to be Abused. When a person is a child. Other children verbally saying thing about you, insults, degrading things. After a period of time it gets to your Head. It messes up your Head. Adult People have other adults insulting them, verbally or they bully them, threaten them with bodily harm. That's abuse. They are abusing that persons Mind.
[P§eüðøKe®],
Being on the Internet you are still governed by right and wrong. Why do you think that this Forum has Moderators. And if anyone does not adhear to the rules they are banned. If it borders on the criminal don't you think the offending person whould be reported to the authorities? So if a person goes to the chat rooms you frequent, and starts to write all kinds of degrading things to and about you. Threaten you violently, sexually. You would ignore them? You would probably voice your dislike by writing something back at them first. But they don't stop. They continue and even make it worse. So you do what then? You block them. So now this person goes back in with another alias and starts it all over and over and over. So now you report this person to the Webmaster, Right? They tell this person to "cease and desist". It's over, Right? No, this person continues. So now your freeking out. If this person was face to face you'ld probably bash their head in. But, You can't. Can you? So... Would you call the cops and say this person is harassing you?
It seems that we don't really know what was said (written) to these people. But from what was in the article it sounded very serious. Catch23, these people being female has nothing to do with what this youth did. Women have a right to defend themselves also. They will cry harassment more than a Man because we as Men will try to fisically deal with this kind of problem. We get into fights. Your at a Bar, someone starts to mouth off at you...fight. Now if it's a woman who, let's say practices self defence. Or lifts weights, she'd probably beat that person's butt. On the internet everyone is fair game. Man or Woman. If it was you you'ld be screaming Harassment also. Because you can't get your hands on the Pr!*k.
These are my thoughts one of many. I don't think any less of anyone on this forum. Everyone has an opinion and a right to their opinions and I shall respect all opinions. Even if I from time to time, may not agree.

I have been considering this discussion while at work today.

Granted, if this punk was violent or sexually suggestive, then he has violated some terms of service or some crap like that. And the 'victim' has right to press charges.

But on the other hand, the 'victim' can be viewed as NEGLIGENT for either not taking the time to understand or not choosing to use the IGNORE feature built into the program.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back