Technical Guidance needed!

• Thread starter Flatbeat_Eddy
  • Start date
F

Flatbeat_Eddy

hi,

i am running a 20 gig hd, i have bought a new 40gig Western digital hd 7200 rpm for £72. ULTRA DMA.

1st .if i was to replace the 20GIG with the 40 gig, do i have to do anything special to install the OS onto it.

2nd , can i still run the 20Gig on the second HD slot on the ribbon cable, even though its an older 5,400 rpm (i think)

sorry , but im so paranoid that this HD wont work!
:(

Sure, you can run the lower RPM drive too. If you are going to put the 40 gig as your primary harddisk, you have to install windows onto it. Just put the disk in the cd drive, after you set the 40 gig as primary, and let it set up. Then i suggest taking your needed files, sticking them on the 40 gig, and wiping the 20 gig, since you wont need the OS on that once anymore.

Originally posted by Nick M
Sure, you can run the lower RPM drive too. If you are going to put the 40 gig as your primary harddisk, you have to install windows onto it. Just put the disk in the cd drive, after you set the 40 gig as primary, and let it set up. Then i suggest taking your needed files, sticking them on the 40 gig, and wiping the 20 gig, since you wont need the OS on that once anymore.

thx mate,, im planning on using the 20 gig to store all my music and videos, ARE there any special requirements for running a 7200 rpm drive, and will NTFS be needed for the 40 gig?:confused:

Yes, NTFS is needed. No special requirements bro, although I would suggest drive cooling. It's not needed, but it sure is nice.

DRIVE COOLING, oh ****, i forgot, i dont have another HD space in the case, DAMMIT, what do i do now.

i have 3 cd bays and 1 HD bay,, i have to figure out how to place the other HD now!!!!!!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

I know. Get a an adapter. It goes into your 5 1/2 bay, but, you can fit your harddrive in there. If you really want, you can use two screws to screw the HDD into the cd bay. it will be held only by two screws from one side, but that's ok, It worked for me on another rig

held how? i cant quite picture how that works?

i thought i could use a metal sheet to cover the OTHER hd thats in there, and use a BLUE tAC blobs to hold it in, BLUE TAC also helped eliminate the vibrating noise my cd drives made..

Um...suspended in mid air by two screws.

Eddy, as many screws as you can screw in from one side.

I guess it's not the best way to hold an HDD but it works. lol if you arent getting it, open the case and you'll see

i see what you mean now,, i think ill screw from the outside and place some rubber on the ends of the screw, just to make sure they dont pierce the HDD shell..

THX nick.

What if i placed it directly on top of the other HD, what effect will that have?

Um. not very good idea. the heat thats being given off will go to one of the harddrives. stuff will get hot. thats improper ventilation i suppose

how do you find those CD bay converter things,, what are they called, so i can search for one?

No idea what they are called. Um...some help here? anyone? someone must know what im talking about! you screw the harddrive into the converter thing, and then you slide the converter into the cd bay..

hmm, i will look at Dabs.co.uk,, maybe they will have them!!

i think this is whats it called?

3.5" FD/HD Fitting Bracket

thats sounds like it?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back