Technet Key Info

N

Not Bman

I have many Windows 7 keys, among other OS's from the Technet account I have. I will probably not be renewing because of the price.

I know that the keys I already claimed I will have access to, just can't create new ones. Yet one question I have had but have not got a clear answer on. I can't find it on there site either.

The keys technet gives me I believe are Retail keys, which on there site all it says is this type of key has multiple activations.

But, how many activations does it have? Say I run out, can I call in and have them reactivate it even if my account is closed?

I dont think they are MAK keys tbh as MAK keys are not retail.
Multiple Activation Keys are something I have here since we are SA licensed and those keys work by one key but say a unquie activation count of 500 which means I can activate 500 pc's with that MAK key before it no longer works. I can reactivate any prior activated pc as well (it doesnt count as an extra one)
I have a technet account and I get retail keys and as far as I know these keys are single pc, multiple use not traditional MAK keys.
I got to issue 10 keys per lic type to use (aka 10 pc's per edition) with technet.

That does not really answer my question.

All I know, is currently one of my keys are activated on 4 systems, and has been reactivated twice on one of them. So it has been used 6 times so far without issue..

That does not really answer my question.

I honestly did try :)

Basically as far as I was aware they were supposed to be retail keys, not MAK keys but it appears based on what you have seen your keys could be MAK keys for some reason. Do you see an activation count listed anywhere on technet lic pages?

No, the site does not give much information.

I know ya tried lol

I believe in general you are allowed 10 activations per key whether your subscription is active or not. Obviously if your subscription is not active, you are not allowed to generate any additional keys but should, in most cases, have access to the keys you previously generated.

10 activations eh.

So after those 10, with my account not active, will I be able to call in and ask them to renew it, like I have done in the past for retail xp or vista keys?

Remember activations = pc's really excect if you change motherboard really not wipes of a single pc.

Last edited:
An 'Activation' is allocating that pc's hardware a license for windows.
I have a MAK key on volume licensing for example that can have 500 activations. I can say use the key on 500 pc's. If I used it 500 times on 1 pc I would only use 1 activation as an activation = pc if its a MAK key. Aka you wipe your pc and use the key again it should not count as an extra activation.
Or well thats how VL MAK works and I doubt they changed it for this.

EDIT: re-read my post as I just realised I typo'd

So my 6 activations are probably really only 4, since it's used on 4 computers. I hope that is correct. It would make sense, because if you buy Windows 7 Retail, you must be able to activate it many times, because many people (more these days) reinstall windows quite often.

I guess I will find out sooner or later anyways right.

Thanks guys.

The last question, will I be able to call and reactive it like you can on retail keys? Will they allow that even with my account not active...

I don't believe you will be able to..

The last question, will I be able to call and reactive it like you can on retail keys? Will they allow that even with my account not active...

I doubt that too, normally what you do is call technet to get more keys to use for dev work so I doubt they would do it on retail lines.

Sorry I thought of something else.

They will be releasing Office 2010 RTM tomorrow for technet. What kind of keys will they be giving out, how will they work?

Are you sure its tomorrow?
No idea until they release them but if your not an active account you wont get keys.

Everywhere I have read say for Technet it's the 22nd.

And my account is still active. I just won't be renewing it when its done :)

MS is providing only 1 key of Office 2010 RTM for technet/MSDN users till 30th :(

And no one believes me lol

Assuming these keys are the same idea as Windows 7...

Obviously if your subscription is not active, you are not allowed to generate any additional keys but should, in most cases, have access to the keys you previously generated.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back