Tech TV program on the gf FX

Sazar

Rest In Peace
interesting piece... and they had linked directly to www.hardocp.com to get their benchmark figures...

firstly both cards were shown side by side and a couple of audience members were warned not to swear when they saw the size/weight of the gf FX lol... the 9700pro weighed half a pound... the gf FX weighed 1.5 lb's

2 sets of benchmarks were shown... the scores for 3dmark2001se with 2xaa and 8xfsaa... and same for ut2k3...

all in all Kyle made it abundantly clear that the gf FX made a huge amount of noise... he said the new iteration runs silent in 2d mode but did kick on in a couple of apps he was using... 3d studio being one (I suspect this might be because it is 3 DIMENSIONAL lol...)

the heat was also discussed with the gf FX supposedly producing between 75-80 watts of heat... the flow FX feature did remove heat per kyle but was also dumping a large amount of heat into the case...

in conclusion he said the card was late and was not sure why nvidia even bothered to release a card that was not a 9700pro killer.. though he did mention that the card WAS faster (raw benches do show this to be the case... AA and FSAA tests show otherwise but raw BASE benches show the gf FX to have slightly higher performance)...

he said that people considering buying a top end card should wait for either the r350 releasing before april or the nv35 which should be out before the end of summer per his info...

all in all a decent little proggie though I was HIGHLY disappointed there were no demoes or anything else shown using the gf FX... no ut2k3 screens or anything...

kyle DID mention artifacts and immature drivers (or rather drivers not optimized yet :) )

Originally posted by Krux
you just love to bash on the FX don't you :D

I think kyle did a much better job than me... was just pointing out highlights :)

www.hardocp.com

check it out there... am sure someone has a video of the thing up :)

kyle DID mention artifacts and immature drivers (or rather drivers not optimized yet )

actually I think what he said was that the drivers were not finalized yet. But it really looks like Nvidia dropped the ball on this one, if the card had been released 4 months ago like it was supposed to be, it would have been a great card. But now its just to little to late.

Originally posted by rettahc
actually I think what he said was that the drivers were not finalized yet. But it really looks like Nvidia dropped the ball on this one, if the card had been released 4 months ago like it was supposed to be, it would have been a great card. But now its just to little to late.

the card was taped out in feb of 2002... it is now feb of 2003...
the card was supposed to be released around 6 odd months ago... it was delayed for various reasons... mainly it would seem... to oc it to compare better with r300...

the rv350 from ati was taped out in november/december on the 0.13 micron process... lets see if it is delayed like nvidia's card or if it is released as expected within 5-6 months of taping out...

well i agree with sazar you dont go out and spend 400 quid on an ati 9700pro then slate it
i think that nvidia had it in the palm of their hands to be the king of grafix for a while lets hope they move theyre ass on the next one get it out on time.

and maybe people will modd it to get the noise down maybe stick a different fan on it then wouldnt be so bad

hey sazar you say on your sig that you have a modded 9700pro
how what why where and when:blink:

basically ram sinks :)

I would call that slightly modded...

done mainly to allow for cooler running of the memory and not cause any problems related to THAT... I try and run a cool system and having ram sinks gives me more peace of mind :)

I was thinking of switching the heat sink with teh zalman copper pipe... but might not do so now...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back