tcpip.sys

Yes if stopping a home user from connecting to a million other users was even possible then you are probably correct, this is however not the case at all. This is for the like of me with my one megabit connection a much more serious issue. Please look at the new XP service pack two TCPIP.SYS

:) :) :)

Yes if stopping a home user from connecting to a million other users was even possible then you are probably correct, this is however not the case at all. This is for the like of me with my one megabit connection a much more serious issue. Please look at the new XP service pack two TCPIP.SYS.

No need to double post .. and how is this a problem? How has it actually effected you?

Is this like KB884020?

Seeing my thread here I have just been wondering if this TCPIP.SYS is the same as the hotfix for KB884020? I am wondering if this would help me at all with the inability to use my VPN connection properly with SP2 in place? I guess PPtP is a sort of Peer to Peer and VPN uses that?

I do know from other forums that I am not the only person having trouble with VPN - SP2 has broken it for many people :(

Hrm, connection rate limiting, so i can't DDoS someone using XP boxen anymore? Damnit ! :p

Anyways, this won't stop anything, just slow it down. But if there is a virus doing stuff, what makes them not replace your new tcpip.sys with another one? Mostly you need to have administrator access to let a virus do it's thang, and it does not help if all the virus has to do is replace a certain file.

X-Istence said:
But if there is a virus doing stuff, what makes them not replace your new tcpip.sys with another one? Mostly you need to have administrator access to let a virus do it's thang, and it does not help if all the virus has to do is replace a certain file.
Well as with most everything M$ I would thing you would have to reboot for this to take effect and hopefully any AV would pick up on the virus before this could happen ... in a perfect world. :)

How many people are smart enought (besides those who knows whats goin on) to create a limited account to use?

Everytime I got a new version of SP2 I had to change the registry owner and authority. That might help to anger people, this could be good for linux after all.

NetRyder said:
SP2 limits the number of concurrent network connections that can be made. It's a security feature to prevent the spread of worms. ...

I have just verified that in the case of making additional PPTP connections, say for VPN, without the modified TCPIP.SYS the connection cannot even be established, basically it gets destroyed within seconds so I can never get to even sign in with my userid and password. Even with the fix there remain issues (I have made my own thread for that).

Normally I would agree with you NetRyder, you do not say things without being informed. But in this case M$ have actually screwed up and the fact they have made a hot fix to release the modified TCPIP.SYS indicates they acknowledge this. They really need to find a way for us to SELECTIVELY enable the openning of addresses - unfortunately with VPN this gets a little tricky, and I admit it creates an "openning", but the fact is that was what made VPN so darned useful! Make one connection from home and I am through to the same corporate network as anyone in a company office. Now I am having to ADD ROUTE and that only works for some of my stuff, because (I think) there are other category VPN servers I can't get through to.

So - my point - although I more or less agree regarding peer-to-peer, there are other areas of functionality equally hit by this change where it is IMHO not acceptable. Others and corporate users are pursuing this with M$. We await their response.

Thanks for the info Mainframeguy. I wasn't aware of any VPN issues caused due to changes in the TCP stack. Quite possible though.

I use a Cisco client to connect to the university VPN, and I haven't experienced any issues with that after installing SP2. Are you using XP's built-in VPN client? It might be an issue specific to that. If that's the case, I agree...it's unacceptable, but I'd think it would probably be a better idea for MS to fix the XP VPN client rather than roll back the TCPIP.sys file. We'll see how they deal with it.

PTP seems to have become a bit of a misnomer in recent years with client/server seemingly being where all the money is. PTP is where it all started and will end as it’s the only scalable topology that does not cost millions to implement providing that the bandwidth between machines is adequate. TCPIP.SYS as supplied in XPSP2 deliberately (in my view) is an attempt to slow down these types of connections.
I will agree however that the delivery of viruses and Trojans via these types of connections is a major problem as they circumvent most methods of checking instead relying on the individual user to have these in place.

The Internet itself is by definition a peer-to-peer device and not reliant on any central server or groups of servers. The control of the high level protocols to me is by definition an attack on all users of the internet who connect in this way and an attempt at not to solve the problem but to centralise the solution by treating the symptoms and not the cause.

:) :) :)

dave holbon said:
PTP seems to have become a bit of a misnomer in recent years with client/server seemingly being where all the money is. PTP is where it all started and will end as it’s the only scalable topology that does not cost millions to implement providing that the bandwidth between machines is adequate. TCPIP.SYS as supplied in XPSP2 deliberately (in my view) is an attempt to slow down these types of connections.
I will agree however that the delivery of viruses and Trojans via these types of connections is a major problem as they circumvent most methods of checking instead relying on the individual user to have these in place.

The Internet itself is by definition a peer-to-peer device and not reliant on any central server or groups of servers. The control of the high level protocols to me is by definition an attack on all users of the internet who connect in this way and an attempt at not to solve the problem but to centralise the solution by treating the symptoms and not the cause.
Well the cause of all this is MILLIONS (9/10 computers) of people that either refuse to patch their boxes or just don't know how. A patch to the OS/TCIP.sys is probably the only way you can try and save some of these people. Also I still fail to see why your box has the need to connect to thousands of computer at once. Also I have yet to see any "slow down" in any applications that use the internet, be it "p2p" or "BitTorrent".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back