tcp ip settings?

Chase™

NTFS Noob
ok i have sympatico high speed and when i boot up there is a delay of 30 seconds or a min..I know i can assign an ip address to fix that problem but for networking do i put the same address in the other computer? Also if i assign an ip am i protected against hackers or should i change my ip on a regular basis?? i have sygate personal firewall..o ya could someone give me an ip address to use if it is a good idea? thx..

you probably can't assign a static IP to yourself unless you're paying for it...consult your ISP for more information.

if you have a static IP, you're probably a little less safe than you would be with a dynamic IP from hackers...because it never changes, and they can keep coming back if they find something that interests them.

I think Chase means assigning IP's on the subnet. Yes you can do that, and it should get rid of the delay.

hmmm...

are you accessing the internet through a router? or via Internet Connection Sharing?

I ditched the ICS and went with a router. Boosted my startup times by a bunch.

cpugeniusmv said:
hmmm...

are you accessing the internet through a router? or via Internet Connection Sharing?
i access the internet through a hub if thats a router ;) i don't use connection sharing the 2 computers are hooked up to the hub and to the modem..didn't see the point of connection sharing when it works fine this way..

dreamliner77 said:
I think Chase means assigning IP's on the subnet. Yes you can do that, and it should get rid of the delay.
yes i have done it before but i took it out because i was a lil threatned with all the hackers just needed more info on this matter..

Static LAN IP's are not really a security threat. I have DHCP completely disabled, it definitely helps with the desktop delay caused by having to connect to the DHCP server to get IP's subnets, and DNS assigned.

get a router, then u enter the login info in the router setup and you can ditch the login crap, assign a static LAN ip and so forth.

BTW, I have Sympatico High Speed.

Admiral Michael said:
get a router, then u enter the login info in the router setup and you can ditch the login crap, assign a static LAN ip and so forth.

well i was hoping i wouldn't have to buy anything for this problem and i don't really mind the login crap but if it is the easiest way to go i will look into it..thx for the input if anyone else has any more ideas please let me know. :)

Yes, your hub would be router of sorts. Just enter the static ip for the subnet in the setup. Maybe tell us what brand you have?

dreamliner77 said:
Yes, your hub would be router of sorts. Just enter the static ip for the subnet in the setup. Maybe tell us what brand you have?

uhh...

what?

a hub is not a router, of any sort. A hub is a dumb layer 1 device, a router works on the network, they are nothing alike in the least. I also find it very hard to believe that your ISP allows you to assign your own IP address, let alone 2 of them... I am very confused by this whole thread. umm... just one of those cheap broadband 'router/switches'. They are only like $30, you'll be a little bit protected, and your boot times should increase greatly

dreamliner77 said:
i have a etherfast 10/100 auto-sensing 5-port linksys hub..

what he said

Admiral Michael said:

exactamundo - only problem is if you get a power cut or have to unplug your router IP can get changed (depending on your ISP)

my two cents/penny :rolleyes:

PseudoKiller said:
from what that looks like it is a hub and not a router. You wont connect to the net with that thing. I dont think.
The 2 computers already connected to the internet with this hub but that was not my question..my questions are in my first post ;)

i know that in same cases, using cable internet, that friends of mine have been able to put the internet connection and mutliple computers on a hub. The computers would simply hit the cable company for an IP address through DHCP and they would get one. This worked fine untill the cable company realized they were using more htne one computer, which was a 'sin' in their mind, and charged them more monthly for the connection, so it is possible, but I don't think you would be able to assign your own unless it happened that they were in the valid range and yet unassigned to someone else

Chase™ said:
The 2 computers already connected to the internet with this hub but that was not my question..my questions are in my first post ;)
quick question: are you running ICS and if so do you have DHCP running also?? and one more ... do you have 2 NICs in the one machine?? Sorry for the order if the questions but I will be able to help more with more info...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back