Tax Time

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political User
I've used taxact.com the last few years to do my taxes. Largely because it was cheap. This year I'm thinking I want to try something different and I'm wondering what you guys use? Taxact is fine (again, cause its cheap) but they like to nickel and dime you. Pay and extra X amount here and we'll look for more deductions and pay this amount and you can have an "expert" look it over before its submitted. I'll get a refund, cause I don't get paid s**t so I don't need a lot of bells and whistles but it would be nice get a whole package without having to pay a lot extra. Any suggestions?

X-Istence

Political User
My dad uses a Tax program to do it for him, something that is well known, is always on sale around this time, can't for the life of me remember the name of it though.

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political User
I'm sure he's referring to TurboTax. I've had "demos" of that but I don't like it. It crashed all the time (possibly cause it was a "demo") but it's also overpriced. You have to pay $40+ for the software, it's only good for this year and when you complete your return you have to pay for an E-File. So in the end you've paid $50 to $60 and since I only get anywhere from $200-400 back it's not worth it for me. Taxact lets me do a BASIC return for free and e-file is like $8 or so. I just don't like the "Hey now you can pay extra for something you might not need until its too late" thing it does. Last year they added a "feature" that let you pay $10 for a calculator! Gimme a break. I guess what I should have said from the get go is this... Is there a web based tax return solution that is full of features but not super expensive?

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
you could use h&r blocks software.. taxcut I think..

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User
I'm sure he's referring to TurboTax. I've had "demos" of that but I don't like it. It crashed all the time (possibly cause it was a "demo") but it's also overpriced. You have to pay $40+ for the software, it's only good for this year and when you complete your return you have to pay for an E-File. So in the end you've paid $50 to $60 and since I only get anywhere from $200-400 back it's not worth it for me. Taxact lets me do a BASIC return for free and e-file is like $8 or so. I just don't like the "Hey now you can pay extra for something you might not need until its too late" thing it does. Last year they added a "feature" that let you pay $10 for a calculator! Gimme a break. I guess what I should have said from the get go is this... Is there a web based tax return solution that is full of features but not super expensive?
Yeah, thats one, my guess is that or TaxCut.

Edit, yeah, taxcut is h&r blocks.
I think its the best.

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
I use TaxCut and it seems fine. The only problem that I had with it is that I didn't do 2003 and did that last year; it added the "fees and penalties" and I paid on that. It turns out I owed more than what it added. Granted, I was 1099 that year but it was still a pain.

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political User
Just checked Taxcut's site. I don't like it. I can do a basic one for $10 but I gotta file for North Dakota too so that's an extra $24. Or I could buy the premium package for $40. Either way it's still higher than it should be. I might just run through a free one and see how big the old refund is. If it's decent sized than I will pay the extra cash but I still think its a big rip off having to pay for all the extra's just to pay again (possibly) to the IRS.

falconguard

Carbon based lifeform
Political User
You could sign up for the free H&R block class that does training, they end up keeping the people they like and then hire them during tax season.

You get the benefit of learning to do your own taxes and itemization. Sadly, though if you are single, under 30 and have don't have a house your tax line is skewed to the screw-over. Trust me I've been there.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
I have used TurboTax for the last 4 years - works great for me and I have done well wrt returns ;)

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
I second Turbo Tax. I used it for several years before I became self employed (then I hired a CPA).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amanda99