taurus..............

50cal

hey taurus was wondering if you could check something for me.
I have a gigabyte ga-7va mobo, which you looked up for me once. was wondering if you could check the online manual for me and tell me what you think the sw1 swithch should be set at, both the dip switches are in the down position. my cpu is a amd thunderbird 1.3 mhz. could you tell me what positions i need the dip switches in to be running at the correct fsb.
also by vid card which is a brand new geforcefx 5200 looking at my display settings is running in the pci mode....:( and when i go into the bios where it says to run the agp at 8x is grayed out so i cant do anything with that......:( .
please help dude , i could really use your expertise here....;)

thanks ,
50cal

Sorry missed the AGP question. Your board will support 8X (or lower) AGP. Could be:

Do you have 8X (or auto seelct) enabled on the video card setup?

Do you have the latest MB VIA chipset drivers installed?

Could be a left over from the last card. You could try an uninstall then reinstall of the new card. You might need the detonator destroyer utility from guru3d to get completely rid of the old drivers.

The good news is it doesn't make any difference between 4x and 8x. It's just a couple percent on the benchmarks and not noticeable in gaming.

ok , i should just unistall the nvidia drivers i have now and use the driver destroyer to get rid of left over pieces, and then reinstall the card and drivers.
as far as the chipset i dont have any idea, and if i need to where do i find it?
in my bios where it says the agp 8x is grayed out so i cant do anything with that setting.

haha, sorry i'm late. first time anyone's asked for me by name. :)

and for future reference, a lot of us regulars are pretty knowledgeable so just put your question/problem out there and we'll all come together to help (me included).

your board uses a via chipset (kt400, to be exact) so you could benefit from updating your via hyperion 4in1 drivers.

and your agp problem. hmm... i'm betting it's more than driver related since it's greyed out in your bios. but the driver cleaning sure couldn't hurt anyway. updated your bios recently?

Originally posted by taurus
...and your agp problem. hmm... i'm betting it's more than driver related since it's greyed out in your bios. but the driver cleaning sure couldn't hurt anyway. updated your bios recently?

^^^What he said....sounds like your BIOS is in need of a revision.
Drivers won't affect BIOS parameters.

Originally posted by Erbmaster
^^^What he said....sounds like your BIOS is in need of a revision.
Drivers won't affect BIOS parameters.
but i checked his bios revisions and nothing mentions any agp fixes. just newer cpu support.
:confused:

could a higher agp voltage or any agp bios tweaks (longer timings, etc) 'unlock' agp8x?

Guessing here, but i'd say "no".
AGPx8 is a standard. A multiplier of the AGP bus speed.
A feature that is either enabled, or disabled, either by choice or
the limitations of the hardware installed.
Or just poor configuration of capable hardware :p

Either way, if it's greyed under the BIOS then i'd say BIOS update.
If the revision you are using claims to facilitate AGPx8, then i'd
question the AGP card vendors' claim as to what it is!.

Have a good poke about in the user manual to your motherboard and ensure no settings/jumpers need to be set first.

What the guys said above, but based on past problems I suspect that some of the nvidia setup from the previous board is telling the Bios the card is not AGP 8X.

Let us know what takes care of it. (MB driver or Vid card driver cleanup.)

Link to recent VIA driver 4.48: One in the middle is the 4 in 1 update pack. This one has been around a while and is stable. The 4.50 is rumored to have problems so avoid it.

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-7VA (Rev 2.0).htm

Note: These can be rolled back with windows restore.

Thanks so much guys. well this is what i did.
I downloaded the hperion 4 in 1 drivers and installed them.
Bingo my properties on the geforcefx card said agp was at 8x. so i run a 3dmark2001 se and to my amazement my scores before where around 4900 now they are up to around 5600, what an increase.
you just cant believe how happy i was.
i will take a peek in the bios and see if that is still grayed out as well. but i did run sandra 2004 as well and it also said agp 8x was enabled where it hadnt before.
now my other problem is sandra and 3dmark are telling me one of my sticks of pc3200 400mhz is running at 266mhz and the other is running at 400mhz. this is another thing i would like to get to the bottom of. i took the sticks out i have 2 (256meg) of ddr 400 and put them back in and they still said that one is running at 266. is this the way they are supposed to work or is something amiss here.
And thanks again for all of you comeing to my aid and helping me get my agp problem fixed.

I'd try the sticks individually - see what Sandra reports then m8. ;)

I've never heard of two sticks of RAM on the same bus being able
to operate at independent speeds.

Maybe the speed sandra's showing is the capable speed of the two sticks,
but they're currently running at the slower (266Mhz) speed.

You may have been supplied one of each speed in error.

Let us now how it went m8 :)

yea thats a good point ill try them sepeprate and see what the speed is.
thanks

Ummm.... I smell skunk.

The stick reporting a speed of 266 may have been relabeled to 400. The programs (Sandra, etc) read the memory rating off the DIMM. You can set the bios to any timing you want and if the stick is good enough it will work fine.

I wonder what would happen if you set the bios to auto detect speed??? Both be set to 266 or would it depend on which stick is in Bank 0?

well the one that is in bank 0 is the one reading 266. the other i just got and it reads 400 according to sandra.
hmmm ..........a mystery.

*sniffs the air* bah!...missed the skunk :p

Originally posted by 50cal
well the one that is in bank 0 is the one reading 266. the other i just got and it reads 400 according to sandra.
hmmm ..........a mystery.

It's probably as we've mentioned - The stick is a 266 Mhz stick incorrectly labelled as 400Mhz.
It's not too uncommon.

Did you try them seperately?

no not yet havent had the time. ill try this weekend and see what i get..............crap!!! wouldnt you know it. its ocz memory, but ive had that stick for almost a year.

ok i switched the two sticks around and the one that was saying it was running at 266 mhz still says that its running at that and the other stick is running at 400 mhz.:( not good news eh?

Feel for ya buddy ;)

Seems you have the 266Mhz badged as 400Mhz....bit of a difference.
Is there any chance of returning the slower incorrectly
badged stick back to the suppliers?

If you were sold 2x400Mhz...you want 2x400Mhz...right? :)
Not 2x266Mhz which is effectively what you'lll be running otherwise.

Ok , ace123 told me that since i have 3 slots that on some boards the 1st and 3rd slots are what you run the 400mhz ram in. i did this and sandra is saying that both are running at 400 mhz now. (sigh of relief).
another mystery solved, thanks everyone for all your input.
happy holidays!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back