Task Scheduler Command Line Interface (schtasks.exe) not Home?

J

jason531

I have written an application that relies on schtasks.exe to create scheduled tasks via the command line. This utility comes with Windows XP and will also run (with slight modification) on Windows 2000, but I have a user that says it is not included with XP Home.

Can anyone confirm/deny this? I sent him a copy of schtasks.exe from XP Pro and he said it didn't work, but I'd really like someone else to verify this. Thanks in advance for your help.

I just ran a search on my windows directory and did not find the file, so it looks like schtasks.exe is not a part of XP home edition.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome as well as for searching. I am not on my machine right now so I can't send you the XP version of schtasks.exe, but here is a link to the version that will run on 2000:

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/files/schtasks.zip

I've never tried this version on XP Pro since it is already included, but could you please try the 2000 version as well as the XP version if you can get it? Obviously, since it is a command-line utility you will need to run it from a cmd window in order to see any messages. I can send you a copy of the XP version this evening if you can't get it anywhere else. Thanks again for your help.

The 2000 version worked just fine under XP home (see attached), but I do not have access to the XP pro version so I cannot try that.

Tried your version in my test installation of XP-Home within VMware. It gives a list of scheduled tasks with headers Taskname, NextRun Time and Status. Don't know whether that is what it should do. I am on XP-Home with my real machine, too and there schtasks.exe doesn't exist.

Thanks!

There is no need to try the XP Pro version of schtasks if the 2000 version works. It comes with XP Pro, so Pro isn't a problem either.

Thank you very much for your help. I'll have to e-mail the user and see what exactly is going wrong.

Best regards,

Jason

P.S. If you are interested in the application it can be found at http://hoocanhelp.com/pvras. It schedules TV recordings using TitanTV, the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR, and optionally DirecTV. I am going to add support for other video capture cards soon if you are interested.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back