talking about dma... udma modes?

P

patheticgeek

although all my drives are running in udma, xp ain't taking them to all their capabilities..

my hard drives are udma66 compatible, the bios supports it, but xp doesn't go any further than udma mode 0.

no prob, i haven't got the 80 pin cables, but windows could still go up to udma mode 2 (ata33) with regular 40 pin ones.. funny is, the cd-rom drive is reported by bios as udma33, and xp uses it as a 'udma mode 1' drive, and the disks, reported as udma66, are locked on to mode 0... annoyng, to say the least.. anyone know how to force the faster udma modes?

(and has anyone got a solution for that irritating sound when playing back mp3's with the audioPCI 128, aka Vibra? no, the drivers don't fix it, pio modes, delay transaction, etc etc.. nothing works.. still trying to set pci latency to 0 through software , since the bios doesn't have it..)

regards

well... same as nothing...

i had already came across that article in ms knowledgebase... ignored it because it was directed towards intel chipsets (not my case... VIA), and i wasn't looking for udma66 support, just faster udma33... though it makes sense activating udma66, so windows can then choose the best possible mode.

tried it, though.. no changes! still udma mode 0 on both hard drives!

well, thanks anyway! all help is apreciated... :)

best regards

pgeek

(btw... already tried via drivers and updates... but that VIA tool didn't seem to work..)

I just posted this for Geezuzz and thought it might help you too...

Originally posted in the M$ Newsgroups

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x

Last four digits are likely 0001, 0002. Under those keys you will find MasterIdDataChecksum, SlaveIdDataChecksum. Delete the value corresponding to your drive. It will make the OS to redetect the device DMA capabilities after reboot.

check out his thread (geezuzz's) re: DMA problems, I have a link there to the original post I made for another guy a while ago.

mavis

it can't be convinced...

tried it also, but didn't worked... the problem here is not putting the drives working as udma drives (they already are!), but making xp use them as more than just mode 0 (the slowest udma mode) drives. (the increased speed is great for video editing.. without having to worry about getting expensive scsi disks!)

will keep searching for a solution...

again, thanks for the trouble. stay well..

(and has anyone ever used the cd player in analog mode? it takes an eternity to skip musics!)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back