Take icons off inactive icons list ???

L

lm_mario

Hello,

I noticed that when an icon appears in the system tray that it also appears in the taskbar properties under the hide inactive icons. Well I woudl like to know how to remove some of the icons listed in that area. Is there anyway to delete some of them that are listed there???

Any help would be appreciated.

Right click on an open area of the task bar> properties> "customize" button at bottom> Click on the icon you want to modify and a little pull-down menu will show up to the right of it with the options you want.

no i want to take them off the list... not hide them

Hello,

I don't want to hide the icons... I want the icons off the list... as if they ha dnever been put into the system tray.

Hmmm, that one i'll have to get back to you on. If you find the answer before me be sure to post it.

ok thanks for takign the time

thank you... I hope you find the answer 8)

That's a good one. I just noticed how cluttered mine has become. And even programs I've deleted the icons stay in the Past Icon List.
Got to be a way to delete them.
Anybody find it please post.

That's a problem I had before. You just have to delete some registry keys and they'll be gone, starting a FRESH one! yay!

I can't seem to paste the site...but what you do is go to...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

and search for 'deleting past taskbar items' under category Windows XP.

Choose the first result.

BUT! if you trust me, this is what you have to do...

To clear the Past Items list, perform the following steps:

Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values from the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify
Open Task Manager, click the Processes tab, click Explorer.exe , and then click End Process .

In Task Manager, click File , click New Task , type explorer , and then click OK .

Originally posted by existenz
[
BUT! if you trust me, this is what you have to do...

To clear the Past Items list, perform the following steps:

Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values from the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify
Open Task Manager, click the Processes tab, click Explorer.exe , and then click End Process .

In Task Manager, click File , click New Task , type explorer , and then click OK .

When the search parameters don't work at the link provided and the next line is "If you Trust me...." I tend to get a little nervous. I thought I'd wait until someone else tried it, but I backed up the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive, found the keys, followed your instructions and well it worked!:D
A couple of extra thoughts:
1)Back up (export) at least the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive before you delete anything.

2) Do not close the Task manager after ending the explorer.exe process-otherwise you have to use the 3 finger salute to get to the Task Manger
3) I had to log off and log on again to bring up all my icons again. But the past items was clean as a bell!

Thanks!!

dude it still doesn't work

Dude

I went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre
ntVersion\Explorer\

but i didn't find the TrayNotify area.

Can you give any other directions? Maybe you made a mistake.

oops i foudn it

hehehe i just reinstalle dwindows and hadn't enable dhiding icons.. but when i did the registry key appeared again ... thanks for helping 8)

hmmm...sorry guys.

I didn't shut down explorer.exe neither.

I copied those instructions from Microsoft's website search, so yeah...it was just for the registry entries :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back