Tablet PCs

Punkychan

OSNN Addict
I've heard and seen of Tablet PCs.Whatare the differences between that and a normal laptop ? Can they run on a normal XP Pro ?

The biggest and most obvious difference between a regular notebook and a Tablet PC is that Tablets include screens with built-in digitizers for pen-based input. This means that you can use a stylus to write anywhere on the screen. The OS can convert the handwriting to text or leave it as it is. One thing to note though is that even handwritten text is searchable, just like typed text, so if you use a Tablet to take notes in class or at meetings, you can search through hundreds of pages in a few seconds. :)

Tablet PC's run a special version of Windows XP with Tablet-specific features for pen-based input. The pen can also be used to navigate through the UI instead of a mouse or touchpad.

Tablets come in two basic form-factors - convertibles and slates. Convertibles, as the name suggests, look like regular notebooks, but the screen rotates 180 degrees and flips backward over the keyboard to save space when you don't need to use the keyboard - especially handy in cramped places like an airplane seat, or if you're just sitting on the couch etc. Slates are quite different. They're flat (look like slates) and don't include an attached keyboard. Of course, you can attach a USB keyboard as necessary, but this form-factor is mainly intended for highly mobile users who use pen-based input far more often than the keyboard/mouse.

Hope that was helpful. :)

So...in other words is it worth to consider one for normal use...( besides taking notes and worksheets )..like internet surfing and e mails ??

at a site my company supports they have tablets. I am using one right now. I HATE the stylus. It is not accurate enough for me. But this is just my opinion. about half the people that use the tablet pcs here love the stylus and about half dont use them. Its more of a personal thing. Goto compusa or some computer store and play with them and see if you like the whole stylus thing or not.

celticfan11 said:
at a site my company supports they have tablets. I am using one right now. I HATE the stylus. It is not accurate enough for me. But this is just my opinion. about half the people that use the tablet pcs here love the stylus and about half dont use them. Its more of a personal thing. Goto compusa or some computer store and play with them and see if you like the whole stylus thing or not.
Yeah, it largely depends on which Tablet you're using. As you would expect, some are better than others. :)
Oh, and feel free to send one my way if you're not using it, by the way. ;)

NetRyder said:
Oh, and feel free to send one my way if you're not using it, by the way. ;)

i dont think my employers would appreciate that. But i will see what i can do :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back