"Sysytem Restore" ---> Does it reall...

• Thread starter Cannibal Corpse
  • Start date
C

Cannibal Corpse

...restores your system back?

I mean my main concern is an application that I have installed, and I want to get rid of its REGISTRY Entries, will System Restore truely does that?

Thanks in advance.

if you really feel like doing a system restore, be my guest. but you won't have anything left on your computer besides what it came with when you purchased it. unless you're using the actual sysem restore that is built into windows XP, then you'll have to find out which one of the restore points will take you back to before you installed the game.

I believe Cannibal Corpse is referring to the System Restore that is under Accessories/System Tools.

As far as which restore point to use - just think about how far back you have to go to get to where everything seemed to work okay and try a restore point - if you do a restore and it is not what you want - you have the option of "undoing" the restore. Then you can try another restore point and find the correct one by the process of elimination!

One word of caution. You may loose something you want to keep. System Restore will restore an older registry, but it also can restore or delete files. The My Documents folder is protected. Put anything you want to keep in there.

I have several partitions. I use some for storage. I have system restore turned off for those drives. That way I don't have to worry about it deleting anything.

psychic51 - excellent point - if you go to the link I provided above, print it out and have a read through it - before using System Restore you should be okay - as it covers everything discussed here!

I find myself constantly referring to it and referencing that link when System Restore problems or questions come up! It is easily the best reference I have found about System Restore!

Posted by Cannibal Corpse
...restores your system back?

I mean my main concern is an application that I have installed, and I want to get rid of its REGISTRY Entries, will System Restore truely does that?

Thanks in advance.
The following is taken from the website yank posted.
Answer: No, System Restore does not completely uninstall any program by itself if restoring to a point prior to the program installation. Since system restore is based on an inclusionary model, any file added or modified by the installation which System Restore does not monitor or files added to or modified in a non monitored drive will not be tracked by System Restore. Thus System Restore cannot delete or undo any modifications made to these files. To remove all the changes an installation may have made on the system, the user should first use the Add/Remove option in the control panel to remove the application prior to using System Restore. System Restore however will undo all recorded changes made to the registry & monitored files caused by the application install including:

Delete monitored files the program installation may have added to the system
Undo modifications to monitored files made by the installation
Replace the current registry with the registry snapshot taken when the restore point chosen was created. (*note: some current values will persist)
Any file type not monitored by System Restore added or modified on the system will not be restored or removed. E.g. .jpg, .txt files.

They are too proud of their shipping & handling to suit me:

From Deep Freeze website:

Home Edition Pricing: $39.95
Please Add $20.00 for Shipping and Handling. Shipped via FedEx

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back