system32.exe

Tabletop Expert

I want it to snow!
I get this error message when entering windows, saying that it is trying to find a file called system32.exe at C:/windows/system32/system32.exe.

From the research I have done it is not a windows file and it was a virus. It seems to be trying to run it on statup but it is not in the statup section in msconfig.

Has anyone had this problem before and could tell me how to fix it? :)

do a search for it in the registary, and remove references to it. backup reg first of course

Khayman said:
do a search for it in the registary, and remove references to it. backup reg first of course

Never searched the reg before. Didn't know you could do it. Thanks anyway I'll try it when I get home :)

sounds like a virus. AFAIK system32.exe isnt a real system file, but a virus... do a virus scan

open the start menu, press the run button and type MSCONFIG

click over to the startup tab & look for the system32.exe

untick it and reboot, when the pop up apears saying you used diag... blah blah, click the button not to remind you any more, problem solved without going in the registry (i hope)

Well he did say it wasn't in the msconfig so the reg is the next place to look.
It is a virus, so also virus scan and such

GoNz0 said:

untick it and reboot, when the pop up apears saying you used diag... blah blah, click the button not to remind you any more, problem solved without going in the registry (i hope)

But you will still have the uneccessary key in the registry. ;)

sboulema said:
sounds like a virus. AFAIK system32.exe isnt a real system file, but a virus... do a virus scan

Its gone now, I ran adaware and I think that killed it. Its on my mates computer so I need to look at it when he gets back from school. He does not have any firewall or virus protection so his computer is a mess!

GoNzO said:

Done that nothing in there linking to it which I thought was a bit wierd

not really, i seen viri attach themsleves all over the registry, the wierdest 1 i came across had attached itself to the .exe file ext. so everytime an .exe got launched it tried to fire up the virus as well :s

adaware is getting rather good at removing viri, i remember when i saw it delete the msblast worm, im quite proud of those adaware guys :)

penguin, i know m8, but the guy didnt want to go digging round the registry, just a quick fix if it had worked :)

GoNz0 said:
not really, i seen viri attach themsleves all over the registry, the wierdest 1 i came across had attached itself to the .exe file ext. so everytime an .exe got launched it tried to fire up the virus as well :s

adaware is getting rather good at removing viri, i remember when i saw it delete the msblast worm, im quite proud of those adaware guys :)

penguin, i know m8, but the guy didnt want to go digging round the registry, just a quick fix if it had worked :)

I'm no good at viruses. I have just reinstalled my machine because of an "unmountable boot sector" and thank god recoved all my data, because of this reinstall I haven't got round to install my virus and firewall protection and 10 mins ago got the blaster worm. Not pleased! I don't mind the registry except its so big and I'm not as good as I'd like to be at it.

Adaware is a good program! Should use it more.

oh man, the unmountable boot sector is normally when the NTFS file system took a crap. 99% of the time running a scandisk (chkdsk /r) from the recovery console on the xp cd will sort it out in under half an hour :(

the reinstall does a lil scandisk b4 it lays down the install files, so it would fix it. remember incase it happens again. unlike win98 with FAT32 file system, a scandisk is not invoked after a crash or drive error on XP.

I was the 1% :p Tryed doing that and fixboot. Said it was unfixable! Bought myself a new HD (which I needed anyway) and installed a Xp on it. Shoved my other drive in as a slave and when xp booted up it noticed it ran scandisk and fixed it. It was pretty ****ed I think it took a few scandisks to fix it! Just got the labourose task of installing/ downloading all of my programs.

yeh it's not too bad when it push's you to that part you wanted for a few moths is it...

i got to try and figure out a plot like that to sweet talk her indoors into letting me get another 512mb of corsair :p

I have used Adaware and it caught everything. Everytime i go and fix a computer i run it now! :p

The registry is archaic and needs to be removed from Windows.

i guess that will never happen, or will take a long while...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back