"System Volume Information" ?

D

delhan

Hello all

1) what is the "System Volume Information" folder in C: drive ? I am trying to free up space on disc and this one is enormous ....

2) How can i get rid off of the backup / uninstall info (files-registry entries) that every microsoft update has added to the system ? i dont intend to roll back and they are just taking up space ...

If possible also is there a way to find if there are "rollback" files from my previous win98se installation ON which i installed my winXP pro and get ridoff of both the option to rollback to my previous OS and the related files. Although i doubt such information is kept as i had also converted the drive to NTFS.

3) Where can i find the reg cleaner Dealer is using ?

4) I am facing the unpredictable very annoying and usual (from what i see around) phenomenon of not being able to delete files or folders just because windows think they are used by another process or user while ofcourse such think is not happening (at least not by any obvious application) Is there any proper and respectful explanation and solution to that ??

5) As every body knows there are the "All users" "Administrator" "Default User" and then the "blah Fuji blah" rest of users in the C:\Local Documents And Settings . Is there a way to reduce all those to a more minimum than 4 ?(Default, Administrator, All, Custom)

Thank you all

:)

I'll take a shot at #1: System Volume Information holds your System Restore Points and they can eat up a whole lot of disc space.

Open my computer, open your hard drive, Tools, Folder Options,
View, Uncheck hide protected operating system files, answer yes, open System Volume Information, Open restore folder, RPs are listed from the lowest number to the highest number (oldest point to newest point - I check the date by right clicking on the RP and clicking on properties to see the date created).

After you are through deleting RP's be sure to recheck "hide protected folders".

When you delete the System Restore Points from this folder, they go to the Recycle Bin. After I have deleted them from the folder I go to the recycle bin and delete them from there. I normally leave the most recent three or four in the folder.

Hope this at least answers one of your questions>

Originally posted by delhan

3) Where can i find the reg cleaner Dealer is using ?

Well I don't know which one Dealer is using but check out the Regcleaner from this link http://www.jv16.org/

I guess it's widely used among forum readers and maybe Dealer is using it too :)

Originally posted by damnyank
I'll take a shot at #1: System Volume Information holds your System Restore Points and they can eat up a whole lot of disc space.

Open my computer, open your hard drive, Tools, Folder Options,
View, Uncheck hide protected operating system files, answer yes, open System Volume Information, Open restore folder, RPs are listed from the lowest number to the highest number (oldest point to newest point - I check the date by right clicking on the RP and clicking on properties to see the date created).

Hope this at least answers one of your questions>

Ahem, it doesn't answer all of mine :) Still got a problem there.
When I try to open the "System Volume Information" the system doesn't allow me to -> Access denied! ??? And yes I have administration rights.

Any clue?

Originally posted by Oerficus

Ahem, it doesn't answer all of mine :) Still got a problem there.
When I try to open the "System Volume Information" the system doesn't allow me to -> Access denied! ??? And yes I have administration rights.

Any clue?

If you have xp pro and NTFS right click on the folder and click properties then the sercurity tab click add type your user name and press ok then check full control.

Re: Re: "System Volume Information" ?

Originally posted by xsk8zerox
misread.. tryed to delete.. couldent sorry

Maybe you should attend more english lessons? ;)

Heh no i typed up some reply and reread the problem and realised that my reply had nothing to do with the problem and i tried to delete it but i dont have permission to delete my own posts

Hmmmmmmmm, you should be able to delete your own posts. !!

You did tick the delete box in the top left corner didn't you ?

If you find you still cant do this ask EP or a supermod about it.

"System Volume Information" this stores your restore points
To empty the folder - Disable system restore (my computer -properties)
To reduce the size of the folder - right click on your boot drive - properties - disk cleanup - more options - system restore cleanup - this will delete all restore points except the last one

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back