System Restore Question

Engineer

OSNN Addict
How do I configure system restore so that it only saves the last 5 (5 days) worth of settings. System Restore on my PC is saving a months worth of esttings currently.

Thanks

it needs to set dates that long ago so that if there is a problem that you are not awhare of during a time you can go back befrore that.

And sorry, not sure how, it should be in the options.

System Restore (if I remember correctly) makes restore points when you shut down, start up, install softwares and uninstall softwares, no way of getting around it... but you can set how much space to use up.

If you are sure your puter is working ok then you can turn off system restore & reboot. This will delete all restore points. Then go & turn it back on. It will create a point from there.
Right click my computer/properties/system restore.

You cannot set time, but you can set space. Just keep reducing the space allotted to System Restore until you see only 5 or 6 days being saved in the System Volume Information Folders(s). To change the space usage, go to System Properties / System Restore Tab - Settings button.

Originally posted by b-man__
it needs to set dates that long ago so that if there is a problem that you are not awhare of during a time you can go back befrore that.

And sorry, not sure how, it should be in the options.

What? Again, you are answering without knowing what you are talking about. I know you want to give advice b-man, but if you give bad information you are hurting rather than helping. I'm just a visitor here same as you, but please try to limit your suggestions to things you are sure of.

System Restore creates restore points every 24 hours by default. Also, just before some programs & updates are installed.

Originally posted by allan

System Restore creates restore points every 24 hours by default. Also, just before some programs & updates are installed.

ok, don't jusmp down my throat, I'm just trying to find somthing out here.

except for the size of my system restore, I have changed nothing else in the default to my memory.

my system restore does not create restore points every 24 hours...more like 4 and five times a week...changes every week, but no week is every twenty four hours...sometimes this won't set a point for three days straight

maybe it's a laptop differance...I have to look at some desktops

mine doesn't create system restor points every 24 hours either for that matter

cool.gif

Yeah me too dealer & iceman

more like every three days

or when my pc has been sat idle for hours

:confused:

:cool:

From damnyank's famous link

System Restore requires the machine to be in an idle state to create system check points. This is by design so that System Restore never intrudes when the user is using the machine by taking processing power to create a system checkpoint. Hence, if system restore never sees any idle time on the machine, it will not be able to create System Checkpoints. Often users may have some application which is also operating during idle time like a virus scanner or disk utility software. This again may cause System Restore to never get any idle time.

Originally posted by yoyo
From damnyank's famous linkSystem Restore requires the machine to be in an idle state to create system check points. This is by design so that System Restore never intrudes when the user is using the machine by taking processing power to create a system checkpoint. Hence, if system restore never sees any idle time on the machine, it will not be able to create System Checkpoints. Often users may have some application which is also operating during idle time like a virus scanner or disk utility software. This again may cause System Restore to never get any idle time.

knew I'd read it somewhere before :D

should of known it would be one of DY's posts

:cool:

great post yoyo

this explains why I don't have points created every day...thanx

Right on yoyo - perhaps if more people kept that link!!;)

allan - I find this interesting since I do not have Backup (XP Home) and no XP cd to install it from (remember I have an HP)

To set advanced restore options

Open Backup. (Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Backup.)

The Backup Utility Wizard starts by default, unless it is disabled.

Click the Advanced Mode button in the Backup Utility Wizard.

Click the Restore and Manage Media menu and select the files to restore.

Click the Start Restore button.

On the Confirm Restore dialog box, click Advanced.

Set the advanced restore options you want, and then click OK. See the Notes section for a description of each option.

I guess my question is what would it be used for?? Almost sounds like a "selective restore".

Might as well disregard the link I posted since the one DY put up is much more comprehensive.

I thought

I was under the impression that System Restore creates a Restore Point after every shut down. It seems to me, given that Restore Points are created every day on my PC that System Restore is creating the Restore Points when I shut my system down.

I assume this because just before the shut down window I get a message window (not a dialogue box) that says something to the effect of "your settings are being saved" or "XP is saving your settings" something like that.

Engineer

System Restore creates restore points periodically (System checkpoints), but not at every shutdown.

It will also create restore points when you install Windows Updates or any software.

When are Restore Points created on my machine?
Answer: The user can manually create a restore point at any time on their machine using the System Restore wizard. Restore Points are also automatically created on your machine when:

Installing an unsigned device driver
Installing System Restore compliant applications (Installing an application that uses Windows Installer, or Install Shield Pro version 7.0 or later, causes System Restore to create a restore point.)
Installing an update by using Automatic Updates
Performing a System Restore operation so the user can undo that restore operation if needed
Restoring data from backup media using the Backup tool.
Creating daily restore points (System Restore creates a restore point every 24 hours if the computer is turned on, or if it has been 24 hours since the last restore point was created.)

Guess where I found it. :D

nice 1 yoyo

couple of points were missed on that page that I wouldn't mind answering

why does restore backup virii & trojans ???

Is M$ not clever enough to make some kind of built in protection against such actions

all it needs is a ref list that could be updated periodically
that compares files being backed up against a black list of bad files

M$ can manage to include many new basic features in its OS that would normally have to be purchased separately

so why cant they include a basic virus scanner ???

for this reason and others I refuse to use to restore -
IMO its too unpredictable

2z :cool:

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45
nice 1 yoyo

couple of points were missed on that page that I wouldn't mind answering

why does restore backup virii & trojans ???

Is M$ not clever enough to make some kind of built in protection against such actions

all it needs is a ref list that could be updated periodically
that compares files being backed up against a black list of bad files

M$ can manage to include many new basic features in its OS that would normally have to be purchased separately

so why cant they include a basic virus scanner ???

for this reason and others I refuse to use to restore -
IMO its too unpredictable

2z :cool:

System Restore backus up your registry and only certain key files. If one of those key files is infected, then it is backed up - but other than that any virus that was on your system before the restore is still there because the restore point doesn't touch other files and directories.

In other words - If you have the I LOVE YOU virus that turns jpegs into .vbs files and you use system restore, the folder that contains those .vbs files is not part of the system restore process - so the virus remains. If you want a complete system backup and restore then you need to use a third party imaging program - but the effect will be the same since that will back up and restore the virus infected files. Kind of a lose/lose situation. The bottom line is that we all need a good AV program running all the time. Sad, but true.

Regarding the question about Restore Points being made at shutdown - no, I believe it's quite the opposite. The Restore Point is made at startup not shutdown - if it's been at least 24 hours since the last restore point was created. When the system shuts down it's saving any file changes that need to be saved for the next time you open that file or start the system (including window positions, etc).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back